Monday, December 12, 2005

Weekend Update

It is Monday morning and I need a nap from this weekend's antics.

Let's start with dear ol' Dad, shall we?

The news is good, for once. He has been released from the hospital, after a total of 2 CT scans and an MRI of his noggin. He is now taking nourishment without giving it back and on thumping good painkillers. He is home, driving poor Cathy crazy, as the man refuses to admit he can't do every-damn-thing by himself. Sadly, his glasses, his only pair, were deconstructed, forcibly, by the fall and the concrete and all, so, while a good friend managed to unmangle and tape what he could, they are a far cry from being as much help as they could be. Speaking as someone terribly near-sighted, I think it will be a long, aggravating stretch before he can get himself to the eye doctor and a replacement set. Still, we are so very thankful.

What would have taken top billing (had fathers not taken falls onto driveways and ended up in the trauma center), the arrival of the furry ones, happened on Saturday. We feel as though we have two new toddlers in the house. One toddler, fortunately, is litter box broken. The second toddler is rapidly learning the great-outdoors-as-a-toilet way of life, after spending her first 7 weeks of life in a large room covered in layers of newspapers for free-form waste excretion. (Can we say "P-U! Stinko!" Oh, yes, we can.)

We waited a whole hour between getting them home and traumatizing them by throwing them in the sink and scrubbing them clean. I am glad to announce that they now smell nicely of baby shampoo and additive-free pet food and not feces and pee. To the pup, I am sure, this is not an improvement, but the kit seemed most appreciative, once she got over the initial horror of being wet all over and then rubbed dry. I am appreciative as I can now rub my nose on their heads and pet their baby-fuzz-covered selves and not have to go wash the grime off my hands.

Now, let's talk personality.

Oh, yes, we have personality. One (ahem) kept her sweet, calm demeanor. One (ahem) tricked us into thinking she was this sweet, docile thing but now shows her true colors of not liking that whole submissive thing. Clearly, she saw us for what we were: A pair of softies, who would dote on the tailed members of the family, letting them sleep next to or on them, having good eats and a large yard in which to romp and sniff.

Madison-kitty is an absolute cuddling fiend. She will follow you around and, if you are not in her line of sight, say when she wakes from her nap under the couch (safe, yet in the mix of things, as you wouldn't oblige her by doing the nice thing and laying on the couch and having a nice long nap, yourself, not that she'd hold it against you, no, for she looooooves yoooooou), she will cry with breaking heart until you come and scoop her up. She purrs so violently I seriously thought she was having seizures. (Yes, it's been 6 years since we had a cat, but still, the total body rigors with her purrs, sheesh!) She is scrawny and playful and dainty. She will even let Sara pet her, oh-so-gently, if I am holding her. Otherwise, she watches Sara from under the couch, as Sara, on her belly looking under, cajoles her with, "Hi Kitty! It's me! Sara!" Clearly Sara feels that if only Kitty knew it was her, Sara, and not, say a maurading wolf, Kitty would run out from under the couch and into her arms. Clearly Kitty feels that being assured that it is "Me, Sara!" is in no way a reassuring thing.

Molly-Pup is adorable, of course, as she is a 7 week old puppy and what puppy is not completely adorable? She is not docile. She does NOT like to be held on her back. She does NOT like to submit to being held gently down. For those who have not had strongly dominant, pack dogs, like German Shepherds, it is vital to assert your dominance from puppyhood, otherwise, they will continuously try to take leadership of the pack from you. You will then spend your days fending off a coup d'etat. This does not lead to peaceful slumber. In short, our sweet beta dog is actually an alpha. We have also fallen in love with her, so do not even entertain thoughts of trading her in. Plus, we have had a previous alpha female, our beloved Maia. Once you set the dominance hierarchy, things run well. You just must show no weakness. Ever.

So, that is the state of affairs in the House O' Piffle. Much to be thankful for, not the least of which is a bit of time off in a couple of weeks. I anticipate much napping with a small fuzzy being or two on chest or lap.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

(PS: Got a few pictures and will post soon, just need to get them loaded on to flickr. Sadly, camera is also officially dead.)

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Teri lets out breath she was holding
Whew! I'm glad the news was good. Life just hasn't been fair to you lately, has it?

I'm anxiously awaiting photos of the small, furry ones, so I can go ga-ga over them.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Behold the wonders of blogging: I am so happy! Happy happy happy! Your dad will be commenting soon and that won't be soon enough! Oh poor blind man, how I empathise, I grow myopic-er by the minute - and behold teh wonders of a shirmer test that says you have only half the tears required for contact lenses. I'll show them yet.

Furry ones, delectable! Get thee a camera, STAT. An alpha bitch, HA! *cackles unkindly* Say, is this when we discuss the wonders of sterilisation? Ha!

Am terribly happy over all the good news, truly I am. 2006'd better kick some ass, is all I'm saying. Good ass.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Teri- Oh, yes. Pictures will come. I will post the anonymous ones on le flickr and e-mail you ones with my kids' faces, etc. We tried to get some to put into Christmas cards yesterday, but it was a freakin' fiasco and then the camera died. Permanently. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone with small hands dropped it at some point, as 1/2 the focus is shot, the shutter won't open on its own and the battery door is broken in 3 pieces. All mysteriously.

Johnny- Isn't it lovely, this blogging thing? I am sure he will have much to say, once he is weaned off the strong narcotics. Poor Pop. Sadly, with the recent pet expenses, a new camera will not be in the near future, even with picking up a some extra clinic hours. I may be able to borrow my mother-in-law's from time to time, though.

You cruel, cruel woman, laughing at our predicament. Best laid plans and all that. Sadly, we both agreed she was the most docile, relaxed puppy when we chose her. An alpha bitch. We are so doomed. Oh, yes, she will be an "it" as soon as possible. Kitty, too.

4:10 PM  
Blogger listie said...

I'm soooo glad your dad is better, all good wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Your new fuzzy ones sound lovely. What fun to have baby animals around. I'm jealous; I'd surely be a crazy cat lady if those around me didn't enforce the 2 cat limit.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

[Hey, Listmaker is making the rounds, she's found her way here! But she's very, very mean, her blog opens on nothing. *harrumph*]

6:56 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

So glad the Old RFer is on the mend. What a terrible, terrible scare. We must all forbid him to ever clean out the gutters again. This is not the first time I've heard of a guy falling off a ladder while cleaning gutters. It happens disconcertingly often.

Nice that the new additions arrived over the weekend to help balance out all the stress.

You've had more than your share of bad/scary stuff this year.

7:13 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

I'm thrilled to hear Old RFer is home and I'm sure Cathy welcomes the craziness.

The babies! Yea! Puppies and kitties are so much fun. I can't wait to see more pictures.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Listmaker- Thanks for the good wishes. The new pets certainly are keeping us amused. and the house is full of the thump-thump-thump of romping feet. I would be right there with you on the cat thing. Last night, I curled up with a magazine, with the kitten on my shoulder, purring in my ear.

Johnny- Yes! Very glad we've connected. She found Teri first or vice versa, I think. I get a kick how we all "meet".

Rozanne- He has been formally forbidden, not that will have any impact on him, stubborn man. He is still awfully woozy and fuzzy and sleeps much, but he sounded stronger Monday night. I had a patient fall off a ladder and fracture both ankles horribly. Couldn't walk for a few months. In boredom, he learned to knit. I benefitted as he made several cool baby things for Colin, who was born shortly after.

Beth- Home is so very much better than the horrible hospital. Poor Cathy will certainly have her hands full, though. Fortunately, they have lots of friends for support.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi to everyone. Thank you so much for all your concern and well wishes for R Fer and me. It has been a harrowing few days around this household but I think the worst is over. R is slowly coming along. The swelling is down and he is talking better and seeing better. We are taking a trip to the dentist this afternoon to check out the pain when he chews - although this has not slowed down his teenage appetite one bit! He was up fixing his own breakfast when I got up this morning which is always a good sign. He's still sleeping a lot and using the walker when he is up for support as he is still experiencing the dizzies but at least he is using his head and not trying to get around without it.

I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is to have Diana as our medical expert. She has relieved so much stress for me by answering my numerous questions and interpreting the medical garbly-gook. Just knowing what to expect next is a great help.

We are very blessed to have lots of friends and family to help out and a very wide circle of friends and 3 churches to keep R and me in their prayers.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your support. It means everything to us.
C.

3:43 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, Diana, I am so happy to hear about your father. That is great news that he is doing better.

As for the babies, I am so jealous of the furriness and the purring and oh, I want a puppy so badly and a kitten that will let me hold him/her instead of snubbing me for Keem.

Eddy "mrrrows" when he can't find Keem or when we come home from work after neglecting him all day. It is routine for Keem to find toys on her bed and plaintive yowls for attention at 3 in the morning.

I loved what you wrote about Sara reassuring Madison that she is not a marauding wolf. Have I mentioned how brilliant you are? Well, you are.

4:36 PM  
Blogger moegirl said...

So glad your Dad is on the mend! Let him clean gutters only if he surrounds himself with mattresses or those inflatable pool floaties.

Babies sound wonderful. I had to laugh about Sara. When Allie was a toddler she loved to "hug" my mom's cats who ran in terror every time she approached. Understandably, since she was a vigorous kitty hugger.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I am glad your Dad is doing well.

Oh - to have a kitten again! Oh, to have a puppy - period!

I will be giving all my "grown-up" kittens an extra hug tonight. How sweet.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Cathy- Shucks. 'Bout time all that paid off, eh? He sounded even better tonight. More tired than "off". (Everybody cheer!) When he can focus on a computer screen, I think ol' Dad will feel a bit of a fuzzy himself.

Dana- Hey, I'm just reporting the facts, missy. Can't help it if my family (and life in general) are so bloody funny. Those kitties are just evil, I tell you. They always hurt the ones who love them. Except my kitty. For the present. Now, she loves only me. And Charles. And Colin. And even Sara a bit, now that she is a tad more relaxed about the whole kitty thing. But me most. Not that I am gleeful. Nope. That would be petty.

Stacy- I know what I'm getting him for Christmas...87 blow-up pool floaties and an air pump. Lucky for Milo-the-hamster Allie is a bit more subdued in her lovin'. (Everybody, Stacy has a new furry pet and has actually posted the pictures, unlike some slacker we know...)

Cagey- Thanks. The new pets are truly lovely. Here's hoping you get a puppy. Arun needs a puppy. In a bit. When you are ready.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Cathy, HALLO! Three churches AND the Jews praying for you as well, how could the Ole Rfer not get better. Ecumenic is truly the way to go.

And the furry ones, plus the little naked apes? Scrumptious!

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home