Friday, July 20, 2007

Impatiently Waiting

Pictures for you



Tracking the Package from the warehouse of Amazon, this morning, we couldn't help but notice that not only had the Package gotten to the Middleton, WI, UPS depot, but it had departed from the Middleton, WI, UPS depot. As we are only about 45 minutes by vehicle and beltline from Middleton, WI, AND historically, when we've ordered items from Amazon, they've gotten here a day ahead of the anticipated arrival date, it was with no little frisson of excitement that I realized that I just might hold the thing I've awaited most in the last two years in my hot little hands a full day before I had right to expect to.

It is now approaching 7pm and not one of the vehicles that's rumbled down our road has been the UPS truck.

Guess it's a just punishment.

Driving to the grocery store this morning, Charles and I were quite amused to note the huuuuuuuge line in front of one of the chain bookstores at 8 am. I'm guessing that these are crazy people who not only reserved their copy of the Package in advance, but are waiting in line for the store to sell them their reserved copy 16 hours from then. Do they think the store is going to run out of the book that they pre-ordered and paid for? Why not arrive at midnight and wait in line an hour? Why not arrive at 11pm and wait in line 2 hours?

Had the Package mistakenly arrived early, as it has been rumored to have done if ordered by another online distributor, I must admit the temptation was there to have jumped in the car and driven by the hoards standing (none seemed to even be condescending to sit in lawn chairs, which would have at least shown a whiff of sense, especially if a well stocked cooler was in attendance) in line brandishing my copy of ill-gotten Package and then zooming away before they could swarm the car and take out their wrath upon us.

I've got my space at the ready: Couch up in the loft, pillows plumped. Floor vacuumed. Blanket at the ready. Plants watered. Table at arm's reach for snacks, pot of tea during the day, glass of wine during the evening, pot of tea in the middle of the night. Mad-Kitty has her instructions to curl up at my feet but not on my chest. Charles has plans for the small-handed ones and himself that involve a movie marathon in the basement. No dog, no children.

All is set.

You won't hear from me until I'm done.

It's been a long 2 years.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Mojavi said...

I am taking a break from reading mine... Cagey and I got ours at midnight.

10:16 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

We should have ours when we get home. Looking forward to it! Have a great time reading. And I wonder about those people who are hanging out at the book store. What else was Fed Ex created for if not shipping HP to me?

12:13 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Well, I reserved mine just to ensure I'd have a copy and then drove to the smaller shop at 23.00 and after telling the nerdy teenager already in line inside that I was second I waited outside reading. Then I read it in one sitting.

And bcs you don't speak Portuguese I'm able to say this without spoiling anything: raisparta isto, não era nada disto que eu estava à espera, esperei eu este tempo todo e - uma chatice, é o que é.

BUT HURRY UP EVERYONE, I need to be able to discuss it!

Enjoy your reading.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Hi Diana,

We got back from holiday in England on Friday night so missing out by a day on the latest Harry Potter. Brainbox (who re-read the previous six a few weeks ago) took it well especially after I confidently predicted that our local supermarket, Auchan, on the other side of Paris would stock it.

And, for once, I was right. Auchan had piles of the book.

Brainbox is now halfway through and counting....

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, I just don't have the fever. I read the first two and I agree, they were great. Hope your reading goes well-think of Henry and myself during your middle of the night reading!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're enjoying it!! I'm still reading book 5. Yes, I am a slacker. I need a week to myself to read and comprehend what I read (and not fall asleep)! But, I've been plugging away at it this past week so that Ken and I can go see it at the movie theater---ahh, the movies, it's been so long since we've been! When I told Ken I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie (which I did for the first 4), he said, "Why don't you go on-line and read the summary?" GASP, I know! I'll let you know if I decide to stay married to him!!!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I haven't read any of the books yet. I keep saying I am going to but just haven't found the time to actually read them.

But I did purchase this one. I am so tempted to jump to the end and find out before anyone tells me. Oh the suspense.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Mojavi- Done! Finished Sunday evening.

Dana- Exactly. For a few hours, I can wait. Impatiently.

Johnny- Sounds like that was the place to go. Also sounds like there isn't the huge hype in Portugal? (PS, I do speak some Spanisy and I think I deciphered about 1/2 of it, but not the important half.)

Dumdad!- Welcome back!! I'm on my second read and will then go through the whole series, again, to connect things up. I'm very glad that they did, indeed, have it and poor Brainbox didn't have to delay.

Kate- For me, the fever hit after the 4th book. That's where things really take off. The 1st 3 are very good and necessary, but the last 4 are so very incredible. For me, when you've time (ha,ha,ha) read 3 & 4 and see if you've been bitten.

Colleen- Charles was very wonderful and let me read all of Saturday, to my little heart's content. I've yet to see the movie (will wait for the DVD and see it in lovely, homey comfort). As to what Ken said, I've just no comment but can ask around if you need a good divorce attorney...

Lauren- NO! NO! NO!!!!! Please, please read them in order. You will be sorely sorry if you don't. The movies don't count. So much is left out. Get the first one. Put it by your bed. Read a page or 2 a night.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I waited till Sun. and got a great deal at Shoppers Drug Mart $26.00 CDN. The babe told me that's exactly what the book cost to print so they weren't making any $$....except on ALL the other stuff people bought while at the drugstore!!!

We just saw the new movie and loved it.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Ruth- Don't you just love how so many people are so excited for a book! All sorts of people, all ages are just jumpin' up and down for a book!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Yesterday (Sunday) there were piles of them in Costco, but I guess by then everyone that HAD to read it already got their fix. I did not see anyone buy one.
Having never read a single H.P. I never got the buzz. So, was it worth the wait?
V.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a complete--to this poinnt--of the large paper-back copies and do not wish to go into hard copy. If any of you spill the beans and tell me the outcome, I will surely take it personally. Be warned!!!

The Ole and crotchety RF-er

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We waited in line at midnight, got home at 2am... I read 'til 3:30 am, and then went to sleep. I got up at 8 and then finished the book! Eek!

Let's discuss this via e-mail. I was fairly disappointed by the epilogue.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

This blog certainly has Harry Potter fever.

How is it that I never caught it? I read about 2/3 of the first book and wasn't motivated to continue with the series. I'll probably "rediscover" it 10 years from now. I'm usually about a decade behind with pop culture/music.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Voyager- I think the books are brilliant. They change as they go, becomming darker, more intricate. For me, they require several reads to really get all the layers. Things really change at book 4, so to see if you can really get into them, I'd at least commit to read through book 4.

Dad- My lips are sealed. I, however, if hit by a bus, would go to my grave knowing how things turned out. Nyah, nyah.

Ariella- I loves you. See, this is why I cancelled on Saturday. We'd have both been sitting at the table with our books in front of us. Yes. We need much discussing.

Rozanne- If you really feel the pull to see what the hell it's all about, you really need to read at least a couple of them (although I think things really take off with the 4th book). Don't worry. I won't hold it against you.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Actually, Mojavi was one of those waiting for us at 8am - you had to get a wristband to get your place in line for the MIDNIGHT line. CRAZY. Because Mojavi sucked it up for us, we were in the first group to get our books and were out of the store by 12:15am.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

We picked it up at WalMart on Sunday. They had tons of them. Apparently. people in my neighborhood don't read. (Have I mentioned that I'm moving?)

I haven't read it yet. Too many boxes yet unpacked...

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home