Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Someone To Watch Over Me?

Right. First go over to Rozanne's blog and read her entry for today as I unabashedly stole the idea of this post from her. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Ok, back?

Hanging up on the cork board behind my desk at work, is the following letter:


November, 1995

Dear Doctor;

The Portland area will be hit by a magnitude 7
earthquake in the near future.

Prior to the earthquake, or after it, Mt Rainier
will erupt.

It is advisable that you prepare for the earthquake
now.

After the Portland quake, or Mt. Rainier's eruption,
I will contact you again.


Sincerely;

T.


I figure it is only a matter of time, Portland being on a fault line. I also worry that, since I've moved from the Portland clinic that it was sent to, after the quake (or eruption), how will T find me again? But then, I figure, as T is psychic, that really won't be a problem.

Joking aside, I've always loved this, as T (no, no idea who T is) is obviously watching my back. Sort of a guardian angel with a tin foil hat. I've carried it with me, pinning it up by each desk I've worked at for the last 10 years and plan to do so as long as I have a desk. It's near my favorite card, the one that has the caption: "She'd prefer to have a female veterinarian" under the picture of a woman with a cat on a leash who is checking in at a vet clinic reception desk.

Can't have too many people on your side, right?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. They are out there and they are breeding. Your husband and father have been part of their education for sometime. Is this the result or justification for selective mating?

RF

12:28 PM  
Blogger Mojavi said...

This is the new quote I have at my desk.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

This is mine, from a button: "sometimes you're the bird, sometimes you're the windscreen". And Mojavi? :DDDD Brill one.

But I couldn't find R.'s post, why? Since you linked to the blog and not the post, could it be that it's buried under other more recent ones? Could it be that ~I am simply daft? Why yes, that too.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Lioness,
I hate to say it, but I guess you must be daft. The post "Going Off the Deep End with the Government Dope" is not buried it's still at the top. It's about a manifesto I received from a member of the lunatic fringe.

Diana,
That note is freaky. I wonder if you were singled out or if other doctors were also warned? I hope the nutcase isn't really psychic. Of course, you are right about PDX being on a fault line. Yow. I try to ignore that.

I think it's great that you have that note in your office. I hope your patients appreciate your humor. I have a doctor with a great sense of humor (you remind me of her actually). Once when I had an appointment to have her check out a skin rash, she actually went and got a skin disease book to show me what I had (Pityriasis Rosea). As she was leaving she said, "Do you want me to leave this book here for you to look through while you're getting dressed? There's some pictures of some really weird penises in there."

Isn't that great? My estimation of her (which was already high) went up several notches after that.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dad- I have suspected that for years.

Mojavi- Absolutely. I must admit that is one thing I have never, ever felt like trying to succeed at.

Lioness- Yup, daft, you cow. (I have been wanting to use that ever since that crack in your book entry.) Don't worry, still adored. I blame all the studying, that and being way too overdosed on those cokes. Wine, my ass. Kisses.

Rozanne- I was very slightly freaked for the 1st year or two, but 10 years later, methinks not such a good psychic T is. I was the only one at the clinic to get one. I wondered if T might be one of my former resident's clinic patients. Many had an "issue" or two. I've used the derm book trick lots of times to show the poor person that, despite what it may seem, I do know what their rash is, but only when I DO know what their rash IS. I have never shown the "keep your pecker in your pants" pictures. I will do so at earliest opportunity. Maybe I should rip them out and staple them to the ceiling of the exam room for those at risk to stare at while I obtain the 47th culture for chlamydia they've had in the past year. Condoms, people! Thanks for the compliment. There is a lot of laughter coming from my rooms. Sometimes it feels like it's the only thing I can give them, that and a hug. I feel sorry for the male docs, hugs not so freely dispensable, at least not to the young women, who seem to need them the most.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Oh bah. Rozanne, you cruel, cruel woman. I actually had seen it but skimmed over it still looking for the other post. Let's try to forget this.

On another note, that Dr. of yours sounds absolutely fabulous, and waving a Dermatology Atlas in my face would most certainly win my heart for ever and ever.

Diana, ... *gasps in shock* I'm speechless. Did you just call me a cow? An addicted one at that? You twat! And what studying? *hangs head, sighs* Working on it...

o90 (I'll leave this bizarre sequence of characters bcs tripod just walked over laptop. Obviously, she likes you too. Consider yourself cat-licked.)

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home