Friday, April 07, 2006

Missing, Musing, Mourning

Well, now I'm just vaguely sad and left musing, yet again, on this strange community we have here. See, Christine has put the 'closed' sign up on her blog.

I know Cagey and Leigh-Ann read her. Lots of others do, too. In fact, if I hadn't been reading Christine, I wouldn't have found Cagey, (who left a completely hysterical comment on Christine's blog that day) and without finding that one post of Cagey's, I wouldn't have found Rozanne (as my fuzzy memory recalls, Rozanne sent Cagey some chocolate, hence the mentioning in the post and my following back to find that, lo and behold, Rozanne is from my home town.) who led to Jamie and so on and so on and so on.

So I feel indebted to Christine for introducing me, so to speak, to some of my friends. But that's not why I feel a bit lost. There was something about her blog and I'm trying to put my finger on it. Help me out here, if you can.

See, initially when I started all this, my blogroll consisted of about a dozen "voyeuristic" blogs. Blogs I read religiously but rarely, if ever commented on. Sort of like reading a serial in a Victorian magazine. I liked the writing, was interested in their lives, but wouldn't have felt more than a "Hm. That's too bad," had they quit. Almost all of these have been culled with time. They've been replaced by friends, many of whom I will likely never meet, but whom I feel I can call on should I need them. For all of you I would drop things and have you over should you ever be in the neighborhood. (Speaking of which, Beth and Dana, did you get my e-mail answer to the one you sent a few weeks ago? I have the distinct feeling that yet another e-mail was dropped. If anyone e-mails me and doesn't hear back in a week, please throw a rock or something. I guarantee you it got lost, either coming or going.)

Chris's blog was different. She felt like a friend, even though had she been passing through, I likely wouldn't have invited her over as she didn't really know me from parsnips. Her take on things rang true. Plus, she's a vet and how cool is that? And funny. Again, I'm just trying to pin it down. Why her blog was in it's own category for me. Not friend, yet not just voyeur.

And now she's gone. Said her 'good-byes'. I imagine the site will go down soon. Typepad is a fee-for-blog service and I doubt she'll continue to pay to just keep it hanging there in space. In a few weeks, I'll remove her title from my blogroll as I'll feel that I don't want the reminder that she's gone, but for now, I'll go by every now and then, to look in the windows and see if she hasn't changed her mind about moving away.

So I guess I'm mourning a little, this loss of a never-friend, who felt like one.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Thank you for writing that post for me - you did write it for me, right? ha. ;-) Those are my sentiments exactly. I have been thinking about Christine's post A LOT, but wasn't sure what I wanted to write and now I don't have to since you put that out so eloquently.

I was in tears after I read that post because I don't see the story as finished and will always wonder what happened to her, how Max is, the status of her pets.

I know what you mean about Christine and that her blog had that "something" you can't put your finger on. She and I did exchange emails occasionally, but it was more than that. She was the sort of blogger who really put herself "out there" and laid her emotions bare.

I've always likened this blogging thing as akin to pen pals, only it is more likely to happen in real-time, without the hassle of stamps, post offices, and WAITING for the damned replies. :-)

Anyway - a nice toast to Christine and the Poor Bunny, who did lose the battle, after all.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss Christine because she was one of only two bloggers I'm aware of who showed me a more personal side of life as a veterinarian. The vets I see at our local clinic are always very nice and personable, but I've always wondered what they think of us -- are we nuts for having so many pets, are we foolish for spending so much money on them, etc.? What are vets like at home? Do they have houses full of second-hand animals, and do they open their doors to every stray they see? I loved her anecdotes about volunteering at the public vaccination clinics, about owners (good and bad), and about the variety of animals who were lucky enough to live with her. I always felt she was "one of the good guys" -- just an everyday person, with family issues and sleep issues and kid issues, yet still managing to have a positive influence on the world. Maybe people like me were a bit of the "problem", as I didn't realize Christine wanted her blog to be about her path to having a child, not about her life as a vet. However, I think it's a compliment that her writing was able to appeal to such a broad spectrum of people.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Cagey- I was initially going to e-mail you but somehow felt like posting this as a way to try to sort it out. Funny, I had a feeling with the first paragraph that she was ending it. I think you hit it on the head. She put herself "out there". Very human. Very likeable.

I feel we should all sit around, eat food and toast her, laugh and hug. She was a good part of the lives of many.

To the bunny!

Leigh-Ann- Yes. The secret lives of vets. I bet you and Flippy'd be one of the lovely owners she'd talk about. People who really cared about their animals. I loved her mom-posts but loved her vet-posts just as much. I also thought of her blog as a lovely mix of the good and funny and smackable in her life.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I never met Christine, but I know I'd miss you if you ever closed up shop!

I hope you'll be with us for a long time. :)

How are the trees?

Karen

8:59 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, this is too bad. It is always sad when someone you care about leaves the blogging world. I never read anything by her and now I feel sad that I've missed out because I just went and read her last few posts and she's pretty funny. And smart.

I'm pretty sure I did get your email but I'm not sure what I did with it. Beth and I have been talking about taking some time off and coming out to see you. It's just a matter of scheduling.

You are never allowed to stop blogging. Just so you know.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Christine would be amused that we're talking about her as if she died?! Anyone would be proud to have such a lovely eulogy as the collective one that's started here :)

1:18 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Karen- Thanks, sweetie. Ah. The trees. Well, I got the two tart cherries planted at the back, where we plan to put a bench to look over the view. I think it'll be pretty in 10 years, if they survive the deer and rocks and all. If not, I'll just have to get more, right? 3 trees to go! My 1st daffocils will bloom today!!! And you?

Dana- Isn't it? I'm glad you read a bit of her's. Relieved about the e-mails. I never know what to do. I don't want to be pushy but hate the thought of someone thinking I was ignoring them. So I come off looking desperate.

Leigh-Ann- I agree. I'm trying to figure out why it seems that way, myself. I think she'd maybe giggle ruefully and be slightly annoyed.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked Christine's blog. She was funny without being pretentious and she seems very down to earth. Another nice thing about her is that she will actually respond to e-mails and comment left at her site, which is different than so many other popular sites.

Sometimes when a blogger decides not to write anymore, I am sad because I won't get the benefit of their writing or their perspective any longer. But I also try to be happy for them because it usually means that a time period in their life has been resolved. I'm glad Christine doesn't NEED to write any longer, even though I'm sad that she's chosen not to.

I know what you mean about the friends in the computer. Some blogs I read for the "voyeur" factor -- their lives are ridiculous, and I like to be there for the ride. Most, though, I read because their writing strikes a chord in me and I hope we can be friends someday. I'm glad you read mine! We will definitely get together once I'm living in Madison.

8:28 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

First of all, and I think DM answered this, yes, we got the email. We're actually trying to find a good time to plan a few days off each and those days should include a trip to Wisconsin to see you! With the next few weekends coming up, we're probably looking at May. (It is absolutely terrible for me to try and get a Saturday off of work and hard for DM to get Mondays.)

And for the loss of a good friend blogger. There are quite a few that I feel a special tie to. You are one of those and I'd be sad if your blog was closed. One thing I love about blogging is you do get to see a glimpse of people and you do find those that are friends.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

rAriella- I'm very happy for her, too. She sounded balanced in her last post. I'm just selfish. Her blog was an intersection of two types of blogs for me.

Beth- Oh, good! Maybe a Sunday to meet in Madison or wherever? (I know Dana has a fondness for Madison) We'll work out the details as you get the time. No hurry. It'll be fun, especially as the weather gets nicer. Who knows, maybe we can entice Teri to sneak off.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

hmmmmm, Madison? Maybe. Dpends on when. My schedule is C-R-A-Z-Y for the next few months.

And Diana, I know exactly what you mean about the loss of not-friends-who-are.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Teri- Really? And truly? A chance? We'll make it work. I know DM and Beth would agree. We must all meet in Madison. (Poor Madison.)

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home