Sunday, April 06, 2008

High Rent

'High rent', as Jocelyn called my gardening efforts in the last post, but worth it, I've decided.



Pictures for you



These are the grow lights a couple of days ago, 5 days after I stuck the little seeds in the little peat patties and placed them under the magically radiating light sources. (See, I can't be trusted to remember to schlep the little growing things out to the deck in the morning for their dose of light, and back into the house away from the nightly frosts. I also can't be trusted to keep them adequately watered. Plant infanticide is my invariable path: They either wither in the heat and drought or become little plantcicles. So very disappointing, and I'm tired of the guilt.)



Pictures for you



As you can see, the morning glory are the first out of the gate. Shall I repeat that they are 5 days past planting?

Pictures for you

Here they are 2 days later, yesterday, only 7 days in the peat. Note it's not just the morning glories that are a couple of inches high.


Is anyone else a little scared? No? Just me?


A good friend of mine had a nightmare that morning glories were growing through her bedroom window and strangling her in her sleep.



I think she has a valid basis for this nightmare. And yet, here I am, not only choosing to plant them in our front garden, where they may happily twine up the front porch railing but have easy access to the bedroom windows of our children.



Fortunately, hundreds of Colin's little soldiers are scattered all over the house, keeping guard. You can see the sentries on the pass-through from the kitchen to the dining room (plant nursery, as the number of times I can be bothered to have us eat in the dining room can be numbered on the fingers of a partially amputated hand).



Pictures for you



See them?



Pictures for you



Better? There are many dozen camouflaged in the dining room carpet, bayonets at the ready for bare feet and malcontent plants.



I feel better.



Plus, I won't need to keep nagging him to pick up his damn soldiers, already, at least until next fall's frost.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Thank goodness for Army men.

I am hoping to grow some plants in the new place even if we only have a deck.

10:14 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I keep thinking of either Toy Story or Small Soldiers now. The toys coming to life and attacking the plants amuses me.

Is it me or is that plant actually growing over your ceiling? Is that normal?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Oh, you are rather the Millionairess Gardener, fer sure. I'm astounded at the five-days growth and worry, too--by the time the out of doors is ready for them, they'll be using canes and walkers just to stay upright.

Glad they are well protected, at any rate.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Strangled by morning glories. What a way to go!!! Still, I can think of worse fates.

If I were you, I'd keep a very close eye on those strapping seedlings of your. They look like they might develop criminal tendencies.

4:18 PM  
Blogger listie said...

I'm planning on planting morning glories this year. Now I'm worried (and I'm looking for RT's soldiers).

I owe you a long gardening email. I broke ground for 2 new garden spots. I think I need an intervention before I get totally carried away.

And, I'm in total envy of your seed starting set-up.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I had a similar problem with fast-growing plants. They weren't morning glories though. They were Triffids. We are hiding in the basement as I write....

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look pretty good. Hope you live through it, and finally get them outside before they take over the house.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

You are so high tech with your 24 hour grow lights and peat pots! (Hear the envy.) Morning Glories ARE scary. Here in Seattle the white ones are considered noxious by many gardeners; if you don't pull every little bit of stem and weed out you get more and more and more. It varies neighborhood to neighborhood as to what is the plant/weed gone wild. I have no issue with them at this house, but I am not going to press my luck by planting any (Morning Glories)either!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

You are all frightening me, the attack of the killer plants is exactly what was lacking from your life, yes. Let's hope the little brave men know how to wield their weapons, it all sounds very dire.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Did you get the magic seeds from Jack?!!!
Wow! What fast growth!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home