Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Snow Day

I am always reminded of that Simpson's episode. You know the one, where Bart get's his wish that school is cancelled by this huge snow storm so he can eke out this extra day to study for that test that, should he fail, will mean that he has to repeat the 4th grade.

Snow Day! The rest of the town gets to play in the snow, of course, and it is named "The Bestest Day of the Year" or something like that, by the mayor. Today, we were the rest of Springfield, except it was too damn blizzardy to actually go out and play in it. Charles and I did honestly try to get to work today but were stopped in the middle of the road, about 100m from our driveway, by drifts of snow that blocked the road that were half way up the car's windows. Turns out there are a few things that the shameful SUV can't get through, despite it's much touted 4 wheel drive.

Anyway, I've always wanted to live somewhere that got big-ass snow falls. Snow that was past your knees. So much snow in a day that you shouldn't (and couldn't) go anywhere but stay your house, strolling from window to window, mug in your hand, to see how much higher the snow has piled in the last 5 minutes.

I figured Wisconsin would provide this.

So far, it's had snow. Nice amounts. Just not a big-ass amount like the old timers talked up. Yet.

But finally, FINALLY, I got the dream. More snow than we could deal with.

The pictures speak for themselves:

Pictures for you
The front Door.

Pictures for you
The swamped front porch. (And, yes, the porch is raised so you have to step up onto it.)

Pictures for you
Molly wading up the walkway after forging off to that great white latrine in the yard.

Pictures for you
The (heh) driveway. Note the lack of a large pile of snow blocking it. (Don't confuse the drifts with snowplow-induced piles.) That would be because the highly touted Wisconsin plows have been absent THE ENTIRE DAY because it was just too much for them. Poor fragile plows.

Pictures for you
The road. Beaker's head (Remember Beaker? For those of you who were wondering, he's still there, patsy for the plows; but today, he was granted a stay of execution.) can be seen as the small dark green rectangle to the left of the road. Wave to him, as we doubt that he'll be seen for days after the plows finally do bury the rest of him with the feet of snow that are currently lying in the road. Poor Beaker, we knew him well.)

Pictures for you
The house. You can see where we had to excavate the garage door so an attempt could be made for Charles to get out again tomorrow. That is, if the plows have made an appearance. If not, it was a wasted effort.

Pictures for you
Guess there'll be enough for us to ski this weekend.

All in all, it was pretty cool, especially if you pushed the thought that if something happened to someone, there was nothing anyone could do. No ambulance could make it in, no car could make it out. I found myself cursing the lack of a stash of sutures and some good anesthetic. And a crash cart. My kingdom for a crash cart.

Best to just sit tight and drink tea and eat pumpkin bread and look at the snow. Which we did.

17 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

Yep, that's a proper snowfall! We haven't had snow (yet) in Paris. In the short term, snow is always fun (snowmen, snowball fights) but in the city it soon turns to dirty grey slush and is just a nuisance. But I still get that childish thrill when snow first starts to fall.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

I'LL RING FOR HELP, I'LL HAVE THE MOUNTIES COME RESCUE, NEVER FEAR! Honestly, that makes me nervous, it's... it's unnatural! "I've always wanted to live somewhere that got big-ass snow falls. Snow that was past your knees." - you do this on purpose don't you. You do. Bcs my sleeping patterns are brilliant to start with.

As for the crash cart, may I suggest stripping a power chord and having it handy? Do any of you four very healthy people plan a on having a cardiovascular thingy, though? Think McGyver, McGyver gives me solace that all will be all right as long as you have gum in the house.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Sounds just like here! Our schools closed today for the 5th time and the buses have been cancelled numerous times. We just got 25 cm dumped last night for our 5th storm. Even my husband got a snow day from his school where he teahes the massage therapy kids neurology. Bet they're glad to have another day to study THAT!

And re you sipping tea in your new robe?!!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I.AM.SO.JEALOUS!!
I have been saying that I even miss a good Toledo snowfall- white fluffy snow-that STAYS on the ground and doesn't turn to mud within 24 hours. LOVE the pictures!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Holy cats! That is a freakin' huge amount of snow!

I got an e-mail from my dad (he lives in NW Illinois), declaring yesterday to be Super Bad Wednesday because of the mammoth snowstorm! He got out and plowed with his John Deere tractor, something I think he secretly loves to do.

Thanks for filling us in on how Beaker has fared. I was wondering! Fingers crossed that he survives the plows this year. I don't know how good his chances are, though.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dumdad- Yes, finally a proper snowfall. Before we moved out here, I figured snow like this was the norm, but I guess not.

Johnny- You know (actually, you DO know, as I've told you) that I do enjoy the horror I know such posts will bring you. Alas, I have no gum in the house, but do have plenty of electrical cords and a razor. The crash cart was actually for Lilian, who was holed up with us, who's ticker, while newly plummed, is not without the possibility of catastrophe.

Ruth- I think your weather and our weather are tracking along the same lines, at least this winter. Weather buddies! As of now, I am in OSR but yesterday, was clad in jeans as I am not comfortable sharing the love with those not my husband and children. Mother-in-law requires slightly more formal attire.

Kate- as I sit here, back aching from all the shovelling of all the heavy snow, it is only your jealosy and the beer I'm sipping that is keeping me from moving to Florida. (Well, not really, but it makes a good tale. I'd hate the bugs in Florida.)

Rozanne- I was wishing for your dad and his Deere today as I went out to excavate poor Beaker. (I remember the story and picture you posted.) It took about 10 minutes and the schlepping of at least 100 lbs of snow, but I did find him. As I trudged back up the driveway, the plow came along and re-burried him. I just kept walking and went in and had lunch. The gods smiled on me, though, as angelic neighbor, George and his bobcat came and not only dug out our driveway, but also re-excavated Beaker. I heart George.

6:38 PM  
Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

We had a snow day, too, but not nearly as deep as yours. I always thought the midwest took these things in stride, but if it snows even a little there's the chance of school closing.

My kids, who I have to drag out of bed every morning at 7 were up at 6 to turn on the TV to see the school closings list. I woke up to the sound of screaming.

Can we bulk order crash carts?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

We haven't had snow like that in the Netherlands since the 70's and I doubt that we will ever see snow like that again since the climate change.

It does look wonderful, though, your snow, so pure and virginal. It makes you want to roll around in it. Except for where Molly made it yellow.

I can't wait to hear when you will be able to be dug out again. You're going to have to do a lot of shoveling once the snow plow has been by.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

This certainly is a freakish and fierce winter in many places! The mountain passes close to us are supposed to get another 40 plus inches of the 'white stuff' tomorrow.
Here in Seattle it is just blustery wind. I keep my scarf around my neck all day long 'cuz the kindergarteners are continually leaving the door open and all the warm air is out in an instant. Molly sure looks cute in that bottom picture with her ears all perked.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

RC- You know, I think the whole "We're from the Midwest and we're just so tough" is all a large bunch of hooey. Those who've lived here their whole lives can be heard griping about the winter as though it never happens like this while we who've moved here blink and wonder if there's some other Wisconsin that we've mistaken this Wisconsin with, that has the months of bitter cold and snow that we expected were commonplace.

Irene- I'd always pictured the Netherlands as having such snowfalls, too. I think that's from my memories of paintings I've seen from the Dutch masters. Charles was able to get out the following morning (plows first went past about 3:30 am) and I was able to get Lilian (my mother-in-law) home by early afternoon.

Teresa- I'm recalling that it was predicted that this winter was to be particularly snowy for us, which it has proved to be, indeed. I think we're something like double the average snowfall. In the Pacific NW, it should be thinking about becoming very early spring about now. Any early bulbs nosing up?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Miss Melissa said...

I made chocolate cake instead of pumpkin bread. :)

Wasn't that just an insane amount of snow? I believe that our grand total was 14 inches, but one of my Madison area friends got twenty. My shoulders still hurt two days later from all the shoveling I did. (Ow)

5:28 PM  
Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

award at my place, oh magnificent one...

10:30 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I love that episode.

"I kissed my teacher!"

We did close early last year. That was awesome. I remember working at the same center w/Beth and hearing about a call center in Indiana closing because they got 5 inches of snow. Wow. Bunch of wimps.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Hot damn, you lucky duck. I'm peeved over here in Duluth that we have cold but no new snow to speak of for more than two months now. It keeps missing us! We had snow days last week--but for cold only!

6:30 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Snow really is just very cold rain right?

No thanks. It looks beautiful tho.

Loved the adulterer post!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Melissa- (whine) You always have the best food at your place. Chocolate cake is my very favorite food ever. Had I made that I'd have eaten the whole damn thing, which would have been bad. Or so they say.

RC- Awwww, shucks, amazing one.

Dana- Yes! Poor Bart. Poor Mrs Crabapple. (Closing for 5"? Wusses.)

Jocelyn- No way! I thought you guys were getting tons of snow. The radio keeps going on about the snow expected up in Northern WI, which I figured would hit you, too. Maybe it's too far East? Sucks.

Rise- No!!! Snow is really pretty stuff that you can go play in (or better yet, look at your kids playing in from the window). Silly. (And thanks.)

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's cigarette packs, and dirty sacks, and things that make you blush.

You can tell that Spring is coming,it's the melting of the slush.

The Non-original Rhyming RF-er

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home