Monday, December 17, 2007

For Colin, Turning Nine

Pictures for you

And so you are nine, my boy. I'm having something of a hard time getting my head around the fact that nine years ago I held you, this tiny (a whopping 5 lbs, 11 oz of you), calm, thoughtful creature who arrived so very considerately, 2 and a half weeks early, on a Thursday, my hellacious clinic day, so I didn't have to go to work tired and pregnant a day more.

Those have been some of your enduring traits: Your thoughtfulness, your compassion, your willingness to help out others.

(OK, so you gripe when asked to clean your room or set the table. I never said you were a freak, just that you are a really genuinely good person.)

Pictures for you

You are also one amazing big brother to Sara, who, let's be honest, can be on the trying side from time to time. No one gets on your nerves like she does, but should something happen to her, anything from getting punished for doing something naughty to getting lost at the back of the bus on the way home, you are right there, protecting her.

Pictures for you

(I swear that is not a posed picture. I just snapped it as it happened.)

Pictures for you

Teaching her.

You still love the sciences. This year, instead of geology (although you still maintain an interest, just not such a consuming one), chemistry is your thing. I think most of this interest is that you think chemistry is in part making potions, which in a way it is, it's just that instead of turning you invisible if you drink the foaming contents of the beaker, you are likely to end up with a severe stomach ache, if you are lucky. Not wanting to burst this bubble, though, I have a feeling that Santa will be bringing you a bizarro chemistry set or two, so you can make some safe potions that won't turn out to be strychnine but green slime or a superball or something. Santa loves science nerds. Santa IS a science nerd. Yes she is.

Pictures for you

Of course, this doesn't mean that you aren't a typical nine-year-old boy. No, it doesn't. You delight in fart jokes and poop jokes and really wanted to hand out whoopie cushions for party favors this year. A combination of how I'd feel as the parent of a fellow nine-year-old boy who brought home a whoopie cushion and used it non-stop for months on end and the fact that each one cost $5, led me to steer you to the quieter yet still twisted Chinese finger traps for your friends, along with water squirting grenades, mini Magic 8 balls and the like.

Pictures for you

Speaking of your party this year, I'd say it was an unmitigated success. We took a page out of Chuck E. Cheeze's book and had all your friends over, stuffing all of you full of pizza and cake and then turning you all loose downstairs with the video games and the big TV for a couple of hours. 7 nine-year-olds all jumping up and down (because boys of that age are incapable of not jumping up and down while playing video games) at the same time and to the same rhythm nearly shook the cabinets from the house and the house from its foundation, but the structural damage to our little domicile was worth it. May I also say that you have really nice friends who all seem to think you are quite the great guy. As your mom, I can't tell you how that makes me grin big, stupid grins. If you continue to have great friends, you will be blessed, indeed. (And I'll worry less. Slightly less. Marginally. Maybe.)

So what I really wanted to say is how proud of you I am, how you make my heart swell, how thinking of you makes me get this big, sappy look on my face. I know, I'm embarrassing. All moms are when you get over the age of 5. But dammit, that's what you get for being so great.

Pictures for you

But clearly, I'm not alone with this view, though at least I don't sit on you.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

Diana, seriously, you need to stop this. You are making me want to have children and that is just bad. BAD! If I had kids that turned out half as sweet as yours, I would feel very blessed indeed.

That last picture made my heart swell, quite possibly with laughter.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carpe DM: I know of what you speak. I did have 2 and they turned out so superb, that one of them even writes blogs.

Actually, I was at the party and it was wonderful. I am very glad that I taught high school and not elementary school--lots of good, clean noise with the occasional verse of invented "Batman Smells...." Repetitious, but tolerable.

The Ole RF-er

11:17 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Happy Birthday, Colin!

P.S. Your mom is pretty cool, but do not let on that you are aware of this under any circumstance. :-)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, for a geeky science type you do pretty well with words! The picture of big bro and little sis with his hand on her shoulder is priceless, you couldn't have made it half as sweet if you'd tried to pose it. I'm glad you're proud of your wonderful kids, you should be! They both sound like amazingly well adjusted little people!

Are you teaching the pup how to handle young men with they start coming out to date Sarah? Just sit on 'em girl....good puppy....

10:03 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana, you've done it again! What a wonderful tribute for Colin to read further down the road! As CD says, it makes one yearn for children the way your heart is so full of love for your kids.

Happy B-day, Colin! You have the best mom in the world!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

She's not sitting per se, it's more of an elegant reclining which fits her personality far more anyway..

Hallo! Exam written, will slowly catch up now and what a wonderful way to start. How can he be 9?? He was tiny when I first met you, TINY! But he actually looks exactly as you describe him, like a genuinely good and considerate little boy. You must feel so much pride it's hard not to burst isn't it. Even *I* feel proud and the child doesn't even know I'm alive, imagine you!

You truly have the best children and dahling, that's exactly as it should be!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Lovely post and I know how you feel: Princess Perfect turned 10 this month (on the 14th). She was also two and a half weeks early and she decided to come into the world during an office Xmas party! (We managed to get to the hospital). The 10 years have flown by and every day I look at her and marvel....

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like Colin had a great birthday. Diana, you always right so wonderfully about your children. it makes me cry!

that last photograph is so cute!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Dana- I hope your heart has deflated a bit; swolen hearts can be painful!

Dad- Yes, it was a good party, wasn't it? I'm thinking we can recycle that theme for years to come.

Cagey- Somehow, I don't think Colin will believe that.

Christie- They aren't perfect but they are perfectly fabulous. (Like your Connor, the goofs) We can try with Molly-dog but I think she'd be more likely to pee on their shoes, which might be more effective.

Ruth- Awwwwww. Kids aren't for everyone but for those of us fortunate to be blessed with them (and who want the little beggars), it is pretty great.

Johnny- Dahling! You surface! Briefly, I'm sure, but we'll take you when your studies can spare you. He was tiny, wasn't he, your proto-nephew. Now he's not. I can get my feet in his shoes. I wouldn't want to go for a hike in them but I can get them on. Sheesh.

Dumdad- Goodness! Colin made his desire to move to more spacious quarters known in the middle of the night. I hope at least your party was either a drag or you were tired and looking for an excuse to leave?

9:04 AM  
Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

They can really be wonderful when they aren't trying to kill you, can't they.

The party you described is the one we've done for a few years now and is, in my humble opinion, the perfect boy party. They really don't need anything other than games, pizza and each other. (A padded room would help, but is optional).

Happy Birthday, Colin.I think Mom likes you just a little bit.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Udge said...

Awwwwww. Happy birthday, Colin, from the whole of the Internets.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

I love seeing their pictures!!!! Happy Birthday!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Julie- Too bad they can't just be sleeping all the time. Then we could go in and look at their angelic selves and the house would stay clean and we could swear all the time. Maybe they wouldn't be as fun, but much less work.

We'll be recycling that party AND fostering a love of video games in Sara every chance we get.

Udge- Awwwwwwwwww, thanks Uncle Udge.

Stepping- I don't post their pictures much but I figure birthdays are special that way. Every one deserves a little exploiting.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Aw, damn it, Diana, you're making me all boo-hooey over here. Colin sounds like a great kid, and it's cool to see him protecting his younger sister. I hope my kids get along that well.

And what's wrong with the occasional whoopee cushion? *grin*

10:12 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Whoa! I am way late to the party, but happy birthday, Colin!

I am so glad to hear that some cool science geek presents are on the horizon. I wish I still had my microscope.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I'm a sop for these gorgeous tribute-to-children posts, but, honey? They're so rarely done as beautifully as this.

I adore your boy.

Look at his little, gentle dark eyes.

I adore him.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I'm with Jocelyn, what a wonderful, loving tribute. He is special indeed. So is his Mom. Thanks for this bright spot in an otherwise dark day.
V.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Amy- Thanks, sweetie! We will.

Jen- The preggo hormones strike again! I'm sure your kids will adore each other. They may not show it, but they'll adore each other, never-the-less.

Rozanne- Good thing he's into the science stuff or he'd be one disappointed kid.

Jocelyn- Aw, thanks for that. He's got his dad's eyes (and his dad's frame and his dad's face and his dad's...Can't question his paternity, nope.)

Voyager- Thanks for that. He makes my days, dark and bright, so much better.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home