Thursday, November 18, 2004

Idol

So, there I am yesterday in the 15 item express lane of the Pick 'N Save with no more than 8 items in my little shopping basket, cheerfully and lawfully checking out. There are actually 2 people on the other side of the conveyer belt, the poor checkout minion and one with keys, complex portable cash drawer, and super-large name tag with the title "manager" on it. Up she comes, 80 and formidable. "This isn't too many for the express lane, is it?", she asks. "Weeeelll, you see, this lane is for 15 items or less", explains the manager person, eying her shopping cart skeptically. I join the visual assessment and count 40 items before giving up. "It's only over 15 items if you count every single can," my new hero declares. And, by gum, she may be right as the cart is 80% canned goods.

Neither the manager person or the poor minion say anything else as my hero starts loading up the conveyor belt with her cans. The minion refuses to let me catch her eye with my joyous grin.

Of course, all the other unlimited-item check-out lines were empty.

I giggled to myself as I danced to el minivan.

I want to be just like her when I grow up.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi All, Thanks so much for the blog. Love hearing all your stories and thoughts. Fills in Grandma and Grandad a lot on what's going on. Can't wait to see you all soon. Keep those stories coming. (Hope this goes through - the last one didn't.)
C

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try comprehending the new "person-less" check stand at Freddy's. I try to get into the programers head when learning new software. That coder had no head and his/her brain function is only to fertilize hair. I refuse to use it at any time. It also will not allow you to scan photos.

But why do I care?

RF

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D:
Fun to read your comments on life & your kids. Got your blog from CF. Enjoy Thanksgiving. Our little BG will be w/ her boyfriend's family - but home for Christmas. We are on schedule to meet the plane late on the 28th. BG

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home