Thursday, November 09, 2006

For Sara, Turning 4

And so, darling, exasperating, adorable daughter, you are 4.

You make the sun rise and make my heart glad. You make the birds sing and the moon shine. You bring such tears to my eyes as I write this, both from the love I feel for you and the utter sappiness of this drivel, that I find to save my keyboard and your respect for me, should you read this in the future, I will have to resort to something a bit less sentimental.

Pictures for you

(Oh, hush, you-all. You knew I couldn't keep that up.)

So.

Sara.

4 years old.

This is the last year I have you home with me. Next year, you will head off to 4-year-old kindergarten, on the big yellow bus with your brother, something you are looking forward to with glee. Me? I dread it. Sure, I will suddenly be at leisure 2 mornings a week to do things for myself, something I've not had for about 8 years at this point. I've been alone in my house a total of 2 times in the past 4 years. Well, alone with the pets. Free to hop in the car and dawdle over some shopping. Or clean with no interruptions. Or work in the garden like a banshee. Or just sit on the deck with coffee and a book in the sun, or with the same on the couch with a blanket, as the weather dictates.

But I will miss you like hell, like I missed your brother when he headed off.

So, I will try to make the most of this last year of our time together, just you and me. Because you really are a ton of fun to be with.

You are gregarious and silly but still very shy around those you don't know. This means when we are out and about, you stick pretty close to me, sometimes making it rather difficult to walk as you have a death grip on my leg or my waist or both hands. Not that I mind.

You've done the quantum leap thing the past 2 months. Literally. You outgrew most of the clothes I got you for winter, including your socks. Good thing I waited to get your parka. You have developed a love for board games, especially those for kids a few years older than you are. You also love to color and play with your dolls and animals.

You hate barrettes and such in your hair, though.

You love to cuddle and don't mind all the kisses I give you.

If your brother has it/is doing it/likes it/hates it, so do you.

Pictures for you

This causes your brother no end of grief, but as he honestly likes you, he doesn't suffer as much as he might.

Pictures for you

You have this aggravating thing where you answer a question with the opposite of what you really mean. If I ask you if you want some milk, you firmly say, "No." Then have a fit when I don't give you some, because you really, really wanted some milk more than anything in the world.

You are also a perfectionist (now where on earth would you get that?)...

Pictures for you

...and if I make even a tiny mistake in the long book we are reading (which you know by heart) before bed, you become completely incensed. You revoke my reading privileges, re-read yourself the page before the egregious error, the page of the egregious error AND the page after the egregious error, before returning the book to me with a severe warning look.

Now, as I am clearly not up to snuff, I am also having to use my finger to underline each word as it's read, so you can follow along more easily.

Did I mention that you can't read, yet!!! Who are you to judge?

Oh, yeah. My daughter, that's who.

You still need a nap, thank the lord and all the saints. Sadly, I can see the days of napping are numbered.

Pictures for you

(Yes. She's sleeping. Really and truly. )

So a big, smoochy, happy birthday, my best girl.

Pictures for you

With love from your adoring, embarrassing mom.

Don't worry. You will have years to pay me back for all this. Plus, you'll get to put me in a home when I'm too old and doddery to prevent it. Gotta get my licks in now.

----------

(And a happy 2nd blogiversary to me. Who knew I'd be able to keep this up? Getting braver, I am, posting pictures of the kids and myself, each carefully culled as none should allow a stalker to ID any of us at a playground. Most of these shots don't really look that much like us, either.)

Labels:

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary to you and a happy birthday to Sara too. I loved your post not sappy at all. Enjoy the time you have with her, I guess once they grow up they are not the same.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sarah! Wonderful!

9:55 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

What a great post. You have no idea how excited I was when I pulled it up. I almost shouted "Pictures!" but I am at work and they frown on that shouting thing. Sheesh. These silly rules.

I found this post to be heartwarming and not at all sappy. I think she will look at this someday and know how much she was/is loved and that's the most important thing we can do for children. You know, because I'm such an expert on them.

Perhaps I'll have to do a post about Eddy so he'll know how much I love him.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

It *was* sappy. But you know what?

*sniffle*

It was really beautiful, so sappy is good. Make sure Sara gets to see it someday! And happy blogiversary, my dear.

1:27 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Love this post! Happy Birthday to Sara! Happy Blogiversary to you!

There's just enough sap and just enough fun to make this a charming birthday post to Sara. Hope you're having a great day!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Beautiful post. sniff...sniff...

Happy birthday, Sara!

Also, I love that you posted pictures "that don't really look like you anyway". Sorta defeated the purpose, right? At least now, I won't be able to find you when I caravan up there to stalk you. Good idea, though. Maybe I could Photoshop up some snaps of Cindy Crawford with my son and throw those out on my own blog.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! How can I tell you how this grandma loves all of you! Sappy? Hardly! How wonderful for Sara to have this tribute to her 4th year when she reads it many years from now. Oh, if all parents could have this relationship with their children what a different world this would be.

Can't wait to get there - see you soon,
C.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Happy Fourth Birthday, Sarah! Some day you'll be able to read this. You have an amazing mom. She wrote such a nice tribute to you!

Great idea, Diana. Sara looks like a sweet, bright and happy child and Happy 2nd Bloggiversary! I don't know how you keep up with all the many facets in your life! I've done it for 2 years come the end of Nov. but I deleted an old one and started another.

(Glad you found the carol! I want to hear the whole carol sometime so I'll have to do more of a search.)

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous, as one would expect from the perfectionist known as Piffle....the sleeping arrangements though, are somewhat questionable. I'm not sure Child Protective Services would approve.... A lovely post, make sure to save a copy to read to her in about 75 years when you're begging her to pick a nice home for you!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

OMG!!!! I am all choked up. Really--there are tears in my eyes.

What a sweet little girl and you are a great mom to write a post so brim-full with love.

Great pix, too. I love the nap shot. I think my brother used to fall asleep on a chair like that.

11:13 PM  
Blogger moegirl said...

Oh my God, like Rozanne, I am truly veklempt, teary really...oh, you are so, so wise to savor every moment! My baby is 12! In Junior High!

Sarah's adorable, but then what else could she be?

You, haven't changed a smidgen since 1987- now how is that possible? How do you look 22 yrs old?

11:19 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Sanjay- Aw, thanks. I will quibble with you on the not sappy part, though. The kids, they make me into a marshmallow.

Ariella- Thanks, sweetie! See you in a few.

Dana- Why does it make me grin that you almost blew your cover at work? I figure that no matter how badly we mess up as parents, our kids will know we loved them. I'm sure Eddy would love you to write one for him but be sure it's you and not Keem who reads it to him, he seems to be a bit mixed up as to who he owes his undying devotion to. Damn cats.

Jamie- Think I'll pull it out some day in the not-too-distant future when she hates me and use it against her. Because I'm maniplative like that. Or not.

Beth- Thanks, honey. We had a lovely day, just the 2 of us. I took her to the zoo and then her favorite lunch and her beloved swimming lessons after her nap. She didn't know it was her birthday as we are having her party on Sunday when her Gram is over and I didn't want her to be confused as to why the hell she had to wait for her cake and party and presents.

Cagey- Oh, no! I fear I've unintentionally turned you all into a soggy mess. Yes. The pictures did defeat the purpose. I am evil and LOVE to mess with you. When you caravan up here, you will, however, let me know in advance so I can describe how to get here and what I'm wearing right down to the color of my socks. Now what would you want with that Crawford chick's bod? You are lovely, yourself. You've posted the evidence.

Cathy- Can't wait for you and Dad to get here. It'll be such fun!

Ruth- Awwww, shucks. She is a delight, even in her thunderstorm moods. Funny how we started blogging within weeks of each other.

Christie- Ufff. As a manditory reporter for CPS, do I have to turn myself it? I'm hoping this will sway her to choose a home where the urine is not actually dripping off the walls and the TV in the dayroom doesn't have its vertical hold messed up.

Rozanne- OH DEAR! You? Have a tissue. I didn't mean to. You can revise your impression assuming next summer works out. I'm sure your brother also told your mom that he wasn't tired minutes before assuming such a sleeping berth.

Stace- I told you that the pictures bore very little similarity to reality. At least I don't still have the spiral perm. In my head, your Allie is still 6, the age she was when I last saw her.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I can now pick you out of a line up! Love the pictures! Big Happy Birthday to Sara- what did she get?

1:08 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I. can't. believe. you. posted. pictures!

A very happy birthday to Sara! (My kids make me all mushy inside, too...)

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't look at your blog for a week, and you do lots -- best of all pictures! (Does that mean I should look even less often?) Actually, I did try to look Tuesday, but couldn't get through. Morris thinks we should have a gloat party.

I love the way Oregon votes -- by mail. We had very heavy rain storms, flooding, and power outages, but it didn't affect the turnout. Your brother worked at the county elections office all day and through the night, helping to count ballots. He was impressed by the integrity of the process here at least. Be happy you don't have voting machines. Most are built by companies owned by Bush Ranger companies.

Hope Sara had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed her gifts.

mum

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, Diana, way too many things going on in this post! Happy Birthday to Sara! Happy Blogiversary to you! Pictures of your cute kids! A picture of YOU!! Have you been eating catnip by mistake?? Hee hee hee! Love the pics and the loving (not sappy) tribute to your daughter.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Kate- Yup, as long as the line-up is of Amazonian blondes or bearded men...Sara's party is tonight. We didn't tell her it was her birthday until yesterday, which was a hell enough with the "is it my birthday party now!?" and having to explain every 5 minutes: No. Tomorrow. To-mor-row.

Teri- Gah! Yes. Don't know what came over me. Must be the overdose of sentiment. Beware.

Mum- I do miss voting by mail. That was so handy, sitting at the kitchen table with the voter's manual and a cup of tea. Good for A for helping. I'm SURE there's no conflict of interest in those voting machines. No-siree-Bob.

Colleen- I wouldn't put it past Mad-Kitty to slip a little something in my dinner salad. She's tricksy, she is.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh look, there's a man up there! I disappear for a few months and all of a sudden MEN are allowed in? [And your dad doesn't count, he's family] How modern!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, lost my touch, HAPPY BLOGGIVERSARY! Am all over the place today, as you people would say.

(Eh, still cursing so maybe not ALL is lost.)

I think it will be so absolutely fabulous to be reading you again.

10:21 AM  
Blogger listie said...

Happy Birthday, Sara, and Happy Blogiversary to your Mom!

What a great post; it brought tears to my eyes.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Babs said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww *snifflle*

I have a cold *sniffle* I swear.

Happy Birthday, Sara!!

And Happy Bloggiversary, Diana!!

{Took me 3 tries to type out 'Diana' dangnabit, you were almost 'Disin'}

7:31 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Johnny- Dahling! Men have always been welcome, they just never seem to come and pull up a chair and stay a while. Missed you oodles.

Listie- Aw, thanks, sweetie. Now my gooey center is exposed for the world to see.

Babs- (said in your best John Cleese): Nope, nope, nope! Now stop it! Stop it right now!

I like 'Disin'. I should use it.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My niece turned 5 today, but refused to speak to me on the telephone. My three year old nephew will speak to me on the phone, but I can never understand a word he says, so I stick to asking him "yes" and "no" questions. Topics are generally limited to the Wiggles and "squishing cherries" (he likes to stomp on crabapples). The kids are such fun, and I really wish I could spend more time with them... I've met my niece twice, and my nephew just once.

My niece goes to school now and really loves it... she started a couple of months ago, when she was four. This morning she woke up early and my sister discovered that the kid had put her school clothes on under her pjs to save time in the morning. Kids are so unpredictable :)

Happy birthday, blog-iversay, and snowfalls to everyone in your neck of the (cold) woods.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Leigh-Ann- Sara is definitely looking forward to going to school next year. I like the optional 4-year-old kindergarten thing. Sara is happy to talk on the phone but is tremendously shy in person.

Wishing you minimal days of sub-70s temperatures.

8:17 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Just think, soon you'll turn around and there will be some greassy guy on a motorcycle there to take your daughter away. Hopefully you'll see him and not just notice that she snuck out the bedroom window and down to the corner to meet him.
Yes, glad to help cheer you up on her birthday. HBD!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Lisa- (Hi Honey!) Here's hoping I get to see you and those lovely daughters again next summer!

Joe!- Yes. Thanks ever so much for the cheer. I'll need to repay you in kind. Charles's solution to that is to move us all to northern Manitoba in 10 years, where the only greasy guys are polar bears. I think that's a bit extreme but may change my mind in a few years. Good thing he kept his Canadian citizenship.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Babs said...

Yes but then again 'Disin' sounds like 'Dyson' which is a vacuum cleaner and OH the field day everyone would have with rude jokes in here THEN!!

{Not my sainted self, of course. No sirree, Bob. Ahem}

9:10 AM  
Blogger Udge said...

don't really look that much like us

What, your eyes aren't really blue?

Happy blogiversary from an occasional lurker.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home