Friday, December 01, 2006

Our Lady of Piffle

Pictures for you

See, the decidedly odd thing about this particular dead fly (which, in itself, is certainly no oddity in this household) is that it is suspended vertically,against the window, backwards, in its death throes. The lower edges of the wings, not the legs are the point of contact.

"Well...", you say, "clearly the poor thing was flying, um... backward and got stuck against dog slobber, which we all know literally coats all the glassy surfaces of your domicile."

True, up to a point. See, this particular bit of glass is waaaaay above the level of the dog, near the top of the sliding glass door. The only nose prints or slobber at such an elevation is from Charles. Or me. If we stood on tiptoe.

The window is clear of adhesives, organic or otherwise.

"Well, then," you postulate, "it's the frozen tundra season in Wisconsin. Clearly the poor thing was flying backward and brushed against the frozen window and stuck. Just like those idiots who get their tongues stuck on flag poles each winter on a dare.

Ah. But you see, it'd been unseasonably warm. Lows in the 40s and all that. No freezing of the window.

"Ok. Here's what happened. Charles, being that master of all things involving hand-eye coordination, batted the bug into the window with a home theater magazine."

Don't think so. There's no smooshing or mooshing. The corpse is attached by the mere wisp of gossamer wing-edge.

"Bah. Still. Just a dead fly. Slow there at the casa del Piffle, eh?"

Au contraire, mon ami. See, I don't think it's the fly itself that is the thing.

I think the miracle is in the blurred, dark grey dusting that outlines it.

Here, let me remove the deceased with a bit of toilet paper.....There. Now see:

Pictures for you

The face of an alien? Scowling visage of Mothra, god of flying pests? The robe of Jesus? Silhouette of Elvis in his white rhinestone jumpsuit? Other thoughts?

Which one would bring the most on e-bay?

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flickr blocked at work. :-/ but I read the post and am now very curious about the pics!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck is it? Did you give Colin a tiny can of spray paint? You need to move to Cincinnati! No bugs here! :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Robe of Jesus would bring the most, I think. How much did that tortilla go for? Wasn't there a tortilla once? With either Jesus or Mother Theresa's visage on it? I'm not sure.

It looks like the fly was making dust angels, actually.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shadowy thing it left is freaky--of course the whole thing is freaky.

And creepy. Get out the Windex!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Religious artifacts get the most on e-Bay, I think, based on my totally unscientific memory of what's been in the news. (Grilled cheese sandwich, anyone.)
(eeeeewwww. dead flies.)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What others said. Go with the religious angle. Always works esp during this holiday (oops!) I meant Christmas season. ;-)
Have you cleaned it out? Who knows it might turn in to something else tomorrow?

5:34 PM  
Blogger listie said...

Okay, that's just weird. I'm with Rozanne, get out the windex.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Well, it's just gotta be The Gingerbraead Man! Tis the season isn't it?! (Okay, I just made Ginger Snaps for Christmas! I'm in a ginger state of mind!)

9:27 PM  
Blogger moegirl said...

It looks like an upside down peace symbol to me. I don't think peace signs would fetch much on e-bay though....best to stick with a religious icon.

11:48 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Oh! I know what it is! It's the image of Jesus returning from Mars and trying on Elvis's white jumpsuit! That would make the most, wouldn't it?

Okay, a dead fly stuck to the window on it's back, veritcally? Creepy. It is a sign. Someone or something wanted you to notice the pattern left on the window.

(And I'm thinking - my natural reaction would have been to grab the camera too!)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Bill Wood said...

Hey, Diana, Lisa Paul told me about your blog. Great blog. I like your writing style. I have two blogs: http://web.mac.com/gnome11/iWeb/billwoodblog/Blog/Blog.html and http://billwoodblog.blogspot.com/. Also, Pat Fitzgerald has some of mys tuff on his blog http://homepage.mac.com/pdxpatfitz/iblog/index.html. Looks like life is nice in Wisconsin. We were up in the Porcupines in the Upper Peninsula 2 summers ago.

Keep blogging, keep slogging.
Bill Wood

PS. Really liked the fly image. Myself, I search constantly for potatoes that look like Abraham Linclon.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Jay- (Evil that work blocks Flickr.) I thought the religious tie-in would be a bonus. Maybe market it as 'something for the religious nut that has everything'.

Kate- Not Colin, but maybe Mad-Kitty got onto the dresser and sprayed it?

Dana- I'm trying to remember. I'm sure there was a tortilla, or we are sharing a created memory. I'm remembering a tortilla with a Jesus face. Given the state of my house, the dust angels is more likely.

Rozanne- It wierded me out, too, but I've not yet Windexed it. I'm sort of afraid to. Will it turn into some sort of vortex? Will the wall start speaking in tongues?

Teri- Hey, I thought you were into bugs, or is it the ones that can still crawl and fly and get in your hair?

Jay- It's still the same this morning... I'm afraid to touch it.

Listie- Maybe I'll have Charles get out the Windex. Wait. No. Our insurance is all through him. Better that something should happent to me than him.

Stace- Yeah. The Peaceniks never have that much, unless they are older Peaceniks and have acquired lucrative portfolios along the way. They usually have also acquired some financial sense, too, though, and are unlikely to shell out insane $$ for bug dust on glass.

Beth- You know, you may have it!!! Appeal to ALL the factions. I wish I had a time machine so I could see just how the hell it happened. (Of course you would have grabbed your camera. Any sensible blogger would and you are chock-full of blogging sense.)

Bill!!!- How the hell are you? Looks like the music is strumming along. Life, indeed, is lovely in Wisconsin. I miss all of you I left in PDX and I seriously miss the food and such, but my quality of life out here is incomparable. It's so nice to be able to sleep and relax and laugh, again and not just stress-stress-stress. If I see any famous potatoes, I'll send them along. After I photograph and post them, of course. I'll be over to your site pronto!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Not INSIDE the house!!!!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Okay, if it's not the Gingerbread Man, A guy doing Jumping Jacks or a babe doing Jumping Jills?!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to work more hours, you clearly have far too much free time.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sooooo an alien face!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to put in my vote for "dust angels". It's the housefly equivalent of drawing "wash me" on a dirty car ;-)

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home