Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday Ramblings of Little Interest

I really should go pull weeds. If I let them go for much longer, I will no longer be able to find the produce, which would be sad, as I just found a watermelon the size of a large softball and would hate to lose it. I just can't face it, though. Tomorrow. Tonight, I will chat with you all.

Today, I cleaned much house. Not all of it, as Charles and Colin pitched in, but much of it. Usually I split it up, doing the floors and picking up on Thursdays, maybe even doing some wash or dusting or bathroom scrubbing. What I didn't do Thursday gets mostly done on Friday and the weekend is mostly for other, nicer things. Like going out to breakfast and napping. Yesterday, however, we had an appointment, you see, which threw the whole schedule off. That and the fact that we have an actual social engagement in the form of having nice people over for a barbecue lunch, tomorrow. As those of you with houses that revert to entropy even before you finish the cleaning process know, it is futile to clean too far in advance. Thus the frenzy of today. I also baked cookies, well a few, you know to make sure the batter was good and all for tomorrow. Actually, it wasn't, so tomorrow I will adjust the batter and baking time and all should be good. NEVER leave the cookies to chance.

The dentist appointment (God, she is resorting to blogging about her kid's dentist appointment.) was fine. Turns out Colin inherited not just my stinky feet, ability to produce oodles of ear wax, and snore, but also has his bottom incisors coming in behind his lower baby teeth. (sniff) I am so proud. The dentist was all, "Well, we may need a retainer and will watch him for braces, you never know." I was all thinking, "Yeah, let's just wait and see. I needed neither." She is nice but her style and mine are very different. She is aggressive, I am more of a minimalist. Do what needs to be done but if it won't hurt, let's just give it a bit of time and see. So many things end up taking care of themselves. Sara was horrified by the whole business. She sat on my lap in her patented Marlene Dietrich pose, head turned away from the proceedings, left arm bent and over her eyes. She held the pose for a full 30 minutes, answering every question "no".

Of course, as soon as we were leaving, Colin laden with toothbrush, paste, and different flosses as well as a timer for brushing those full 2 minutes, she pops out of character, hollering, "BYE! SEE-YATER! BYE!"

Earlier that morning, before leaving for the dentist, a storm rolled through. Yes, the sky rapidly blackened, the booms and flashes crashed and the wind blew. It also poured, thank goodness, as it has been dry and if it doesn't rain in a week, I start getting nervous for the water level in the well. Anyway, all was over except for some rain by the time we pulled out of the garage and went our merry way. No big deal. Love the storms. Teri got hit by one around the same time. It was an atmospheric morning for the state of Wisconsin.

Got back home, did the lunch thing, the Sara-down-for-a-nap thing, the caffeine-and-chocolate thing (bribery for a workout), and hit the treadmill, engrossed in the episode of Gilmore Girls I was watching (thanks, Linda). I heard an odd tramping of feet upstairs and soon Charles stuck his head in, looking somewhat sheepish and relieved.

You see, the storm was apparently more than just your typical storm. He had been at work and heard people talking about how the teeny town we live just outside of, had just gotten the royal smack-down from this really nasty storm. Trees down, roofs blown off, toads falling from the sky. He tried to call for hours but couldn't get through. Finally, terribly concerned, he left work early, fully expecting to find mayhem and exposed plumbing. He found not a blade of grass out of line, his family safe and his electronic gear sound, except for the big TV needing the audio reset. The answering machine was out as a small block of outlets in the kitchen got zapped when we briefly lost power and needed the master outlet reset or some such thing. This apparently affected the other phones? I don't really understand, which is not terribly unusual.

Hey, got him home early.

Have to remember that one.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

My eldest kid has the shark-teeth-double-row on the bottom thing going on too! And we have a house that reverts to entropy. More in common. Are you sure you're not my evil twin?

9:24 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Dentists freak me out, ever since one of them tried to kill me.

I really need to clean my room but I am too gosh-darn lazy to do it myself.

Um, I happen to find your ramblings of much interest. So there. This might be because I have no life of my own but that's not the point.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Teri- Evil? Certainly. Twins? Possibly, depending on your views on red wine, chocolate, and the presence or absence of sauerkraut on a freshly grilled brat.

Dana- I had the most marvelous dentist from childhood through my mid 30s, until we moved 2000 miles away. It took me longer than it should have to get a new dentist while I mulled the feasability of just flying back to Portland to see him twice a year. What a harrowing life you lead at the hands of health care professionals! I think I have the better situation as with the killing frost, those weeds are history. I am sorry that I find my ramblings worthy of writing and that you find them of interest to read, but I like you for it all the same.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, our little girls seem to be very much alike. Very much indeed.

We've been getting some wild storms rolling through over here across the lake as well. I love them.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I love sauerkraut - whether or not ot belongs on brats is a matter of my mood at the moment. Wine, I like, but I'm apparently allergic to sulfites, and most wine these days has contains sulfites - so label read I must, which totally precludes ordering wine while out. Chocolate is the nectar of the goods. Especially if it comes from Switzerland.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Gerah- I have been struck by the similarity between them, too.

Teri- You ARE my long lost twin! I am sad to hear of the sulfite allergy. The wine industry needs to do something about that.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Mojavi said...

I knew there was a reason on some other level why I liked you... A gilmore girl fan :)

me too... *sniff*

10:32 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Mojavi- Right back at you!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

I think every single one of my bottom adult teeth came in behind my baby teeth. Extractions were part of my childhood. I must have had a good dentist, cuz I never developed a loathing of going to the dentist even after all that.

For the record, I never needed braces or a retainer. I think it's likely Colin's teeth will move into place on their own.

Miss those Midwestern T-storms!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Rozanne- Ooooohhhh! You too! We shark-toothed freaks ar just so cool. I think mine also needed extracting and I don't remember anything bad, just several quarters from the Tooth Fairy. Neither Charles nor I needed braces, so I am hoping Colin follows suit. Thunderstorms rock. I missed them badly in Portland. Where we lived near Rantoul, IL, when I was small, the streets would flood with the rain. (Central IL is oh, so flat.) Instant neighborhood wading pool.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home