Friday, May 19, 2006

Charlatan

Well. It seems that Amy is right. Ahem:

"I have absolutely no idea what that flower is...if it's even a flower."

I returned down the path with my camera, today; Sara in tow, lugging her oversized bright yellow plastic bat and bright blue plastic ball. (I promised her we'd play ball to her heart's content, after this little mission.) I hunted down that odd flower with the woody stem that caused us geeks consternation and much puzzlement, at least on my part. Turns out, those things that looked for all the world like fading tulip or lily or whatever petals? They were some sort of leaf casing. Huh. Awfully pretty red-orange petal shaped leaf casings, but leaf casings the proved to be, as the picture below shows:

















Not content with this, I kept my eyes open for any other specimen, and found one, right by our wind-free ball playing area:
















Leaves, Mr Frodo. Clearly leaves unfurling. Egg on my face and all that. Guess that's why I didn't see any foliage, or rather I was seeing foliage, it just looked like odd bloated stamens, to quote Rozanne.

So. All bow to Amy. Case solved. Pity. I was hoping for some really cool wild lily or something. I did get some really great links out of all this, though, my dearest darlings, all with no effort on my part, thanks to all your diligence.


------------------------

And, finally, here is something you can always do with those dandelions, especially if you have an eager 3-year-old giving you flower presents as you both walk along. The little arcing blue wild flowers, I think, are my very favorite of what grows along our road.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

teeheehee-very funny... but not as funny as my hilarious comment two posts back that never appeared and I am still pissed about! Not your fault mind you but I just wanted you to know-it was funny... Even The Ol'RFer would have chuckled... sigh
Happy Friday!

3:02 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

So, what type of tree is it? Do you know? Is it a tree or a bush? I'm confused a little.

I like the picture of your bouquet. Cute! It reminds me of the dandelion bouquets I was fond of giving my mom as a child. She loved them.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It kind of looks chestnut-y to me, but I've never seen a red one.

Do you have a macro feature on your camera and can you get a closer shot of it's different parts?

Karen

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

You *have* to find out what that thing is. I mean, we know it's a freak--but I want to know exactly what kind of freak it is.

Also, your bouquet is gorgeous. Are the blue flowers wild chicory? I love all blue flowers.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Kate- *sigh* That Blogger. It looses all the best comments, I swear.

Beth- I haven't the foggiest. Yet. We'll see what unfolds. Literally.

Karen- Hm. Chestnut. There are a variety of chestnuts in the vacinity, based on the detritus on the ground in the fall. I do have a macro feature. I'm not sure how well it'll translate to the blog, but I'll try. I think I'll give it a week or two to declare itself better. Just wait. It'll turn out to be something completely mundane.

Rozanne- I'm not sure what the blue flowers are. they are lovely and graceful and the flower looks like a tiny hardy geranium. The rest of the plant does not, however. Now I have a second plant to ID. Back to the books and 'net.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

I know they are leaves - but they still look like flowers.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

humpf! I was all excited about the possibility of some exotic flower. grrrrrrrrrrr!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

p.s. I'm not growling at you, but rather at the tree...

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told Erik about your offer of the fruiting raspberry bushes over the weekend. He said, "are you really going to meet YOUR INTERNET FRIEND?" And I was like, "Well, I don't think she's a mass murderer, or else she's really clever with all those pictures of her kids and her land out in Swissville."

He is so funny. We are excited! Hopefully you guys can come over for dinner and meet our bad cats. And by bad I mean "constantly vying for superiority."

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL and turning bright red right now!

thanks for the props. all I know about plants and flowers I learned from my grandmother, and that knowledge extends only to what's growing in my backyard (ie. dandelions and clover).

those were the leaf casings? very unique! keep track of it. maybe it's a new specimen. oooooh...wouldn't that be cool?

love the blue flowers in your bouquet!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Barry- What ever it is, it is confused. Maybe it has flower envy?

Teri- Grrrr, indeed.

Ariella- You can tell him that I met with Beth and DM Sunday....Hey, wait, has anyone seen them since? Ah. Two of my favorite things: Dinner and Bad Cats. Tell Erik we're there with chainsaws on.

Amy- Well, your grandmother would be proud. I haven't been by to see what it's up to for the past few days.

1:17 PM  
Blogger moegirl said...

Perhaps its a one of a kind, mutant flower/bush/tree hybrid thing?

That would be kinda cool.

1:46 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I love the bouquet. I adore dandelions - they are so sunny looking. But I'm a freak. You knew that.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home