Sunday, May 13, 2007

Fabulous! (At Least In The Eyes Of My Son)

Mother's Day, I think, has become my very favorite day of the year.

See, it's the day that I get to see what glorious offerings my son bestows upon me to show his love on this day. He has divine, imaginative teachers and has presented me 2 years ago with the infamous Mom Poem (scroll to the bottom of the post for the brilliance). Last year was the fabulous still life card and "Mom ABCs" handmade hardcover book (again, to the bottom of the post). This year! Oh, this year, we have the splendid portrait of ME! done in construction paper, wrapping paper, yarn and crayon, (life sized)!

Pictures for you

Take in the glorious accuracy: The lank, brown hair (never could do a damn thing with it). The tilt of the head demonstrating my infinite patience with the use of "butt" and "poop" 5 times in a single sentence. Look in the eyes to see the expression of love and devotion to my offspring. The lips, it must be said, are artistic license, as I do not have 'pillow lips' either naturally or collagenally.

Pictures for you

I also had no idea I looked that good in plaid and will go in search of some forthwith.

The portrait also accompanied a soft-cover book entitled "I Love You More! retold by Colin", in which, across 7 illustrated pages, he tells me how he loves me 'more than the biggest garden you seen' and 'the greatest trip you ever bin (sic)' and 'the neatest room you ever seen'.

Can you see why this puts Christmas and my birthday to shame?

'Hallmark Holiday', indeed.

Fie.

(P.S.: I am truly working on the travels of me, Down Cajun way, but it is planting season here and the clock is a ticking and there's not all that much to tell, not that I won't take far too long in the telling of it. Gimme a couple of days.)

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it turned your heart to mush.... So soon it will be I love my mom "because she pays my allowance" Hope it was a lovely day for you and yours and glad to hear the inbreeders in swampy LA didn't hunt you down, duelling banjos and all, and try to make you squeal like a piggy.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

That card is indeed, FABULOUS.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

That card pleases me no end.

Maybe you could just drape yourself in a plaid bedspread and call it done.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Lovely card and welcome back.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You do look lovely in plaid and if you ever wanted to know if you should get the collegan induced lips now you need wonder no more.

This year was by far the best mother's day by way of gifts from my girl. So many hand made goodies.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Very cool and so precious! My cats didn't know it was Mother's Day but got me a present anyway! It's at the back door now...all wrapped in furry wrapping paper!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

christie- Oh, yes. Oatmeal mush. Speaking of allowance, only a few more weeks and then my dusting slave is home for the summer! (Colin's 'allowance' is a buck a week for dusting, picking up, and wiping the windows. I'm thinking that for an extra buck, he'll be agreeable to doing the bathrooms...)

Cagey- It is, indeed. I'm being burried with all my Mother's Day cards, I've decided.

Jocelyn- Actually, we've a plaid table cloth that isn't far off that...

Dumdad- Thanks! It's good to be backish.

Lauren- Yes, indeed! Think of the money I'm saving by avoiding such things. (Loved the Belle gifts.)

Ruth- Mouse or mole? Squirrel or vole? Nothing says lovin' like a small dead creature. Happy Mother's Day to you, sweetie!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Beautiful and priceless card. I miss those Mom's day gifts. On my desk I have a misshapen, lopsided pottery bowl with my name printed (sort of) on it. A mothers day gift from years ago. This year I got a hug, followed by "Can I borrow your car?"
V.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have said it a BILLION times, but Colin is the best kid in the whole wide world. Very cute card!

I disagree with your hair assessment... I think it's quite good. I chopped ALL my hair off last week, so now we can talk about how disappointed I am that it looks like a MOD 70s CUT. AGH.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am in love. With Colin of course, not you silly. Can't we please work on some kind of arranged marriage? He can have either of the girls!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

That is fantastic!!!!!

I enjoyed his efforts of previous years, too. Mother's Day just keeps getting better and better, no?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Diana, I have misplaced your e-mail to send you your questions. Can you please send it to me at spindreams@canada.com.
Thanks
V.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Voyager- What? The heart warming handmade bounty doesn't extend in perpetuity? My heart withers. Don't suppose he took your car, got it tuned up, detailed and filled the tank? (I emailed you as requested.)

Ariella- And that's one of the BILLION reasons why I adore you. You say my kids are swell. Now. I'm dying to see your mod 70s locks!

Kate- Growing up, I found the idea of arranged marriage horrifying. As a parent, I think it sounds downright fabulous. Not only do you get to choose the daughter (son)-in-law, but the parents who come with them. I'll start showing him pictures of the girls accompanied by encouraging words.

Rozanne- You know, to this cynic, it really does. Slap my face and call me 'Mushy'.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

That card is divine! Handmade Mother's Day stuff is The. Best!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Mona- Isn't it? Makes me sad to see all those store bought cards designed to be from kids.

7:28 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

How sweet and perfect! Colin is quite the artist and how heart-warming. I also love the fact he loves you more than the biggest garden you've ever seen. That means so much. What a sweetie. Happy (belated) Mother's Day!

3:30 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

You would look good in plaid. And I love your hair. I also remember the head tilt but I'm hoping it wasn't because I used butt or poop too much.

Happy Mother's Day (sorry, I'm late. I didn't call my own mom until almost 10)!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home