Thursday, April 19, 2007

The More Things Change...

Remember this?

Well, like the behavior of some siblings, it really hasn't changed. In fact, after a year and some, it's gotten more pervasive.

Several times a day, we are treated to such scenes:

Pictures for you

Pictures for you

Pictures for you

It starts silently except for the sound of thumping against any furniture that happens to be in the vicinity. Then there are the low growls from the kitty. As things escalate (and they always escalate) the size difference comes into play and there is the muffled meow of frustration, as the kitty's head disappears in the dog's maw. This is, of course to be expected as the cat weighs 5 lbs (3 kg) and the dog weighs 75 lbs (35 kg).

"Hey! Molly! Leave. The Kitty. Alone," someone will holler.

Pictures for you

Molly opens her mouth and the now matted black cat lays there, scowling. She's clearly pissed that she came up on the losing end, yet again.

Pictures for you

Pictures for you

As soon as whoever halted the round turns away, one or the other (it's an even split) launches in again. Either the kitty goes for whatever body part she can reach (a knee, a tail, a nose if Molly is silly enough to put her schnozz in paw's reach) or Molly re-engulfs Mad's head.

Pictures for you

My favorite was the episode I stepped in on, where I hollered, "Hey! Molly! Stop it!" Molly turned and lifted her head, with Mad-Kitty dangling from her pus, a foot off the floor, 5 front claws embedded in each side of her muzzle.

Both seemed fine with it, so I rolled my eyeballs to the ceiling and left to a distant part of the house where I didn't have to listen to it.

Unfortunately, Kitty doesn't leave it just for Molly. No, no indeed.

When bored (and an inside kitty is frequently bored, even with 2 kids, a large dog and several house plants to play with), she will lay in ambush, waiting for you to walk by. She then dashes out from behind a door on her hind tiptoes, arms stretched out to the sides, in the air, as wide as they can go, tail straight out behind for balance, and seizes you (usually me with my arms full of laundry or a glass of water) around the top of the calf, then releasing you, dances off sideways with her tail fluffed twice as big as the rest of her small self.

It's even more fun when she does this as you are descending the stairs, at night, with a large bowl of popcorn in your arms and maybe a glass of something in one hand.

Oh, yes. Ever so much fun.

Damn pets.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Wow! I can't believe how big your puppy is now!

11:35 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

You can't see it but I am laughing hysterically because I can imagine this whole scene. Usually when Eddy gets into Freaky Kitty mode, he's normally playing with one of the toys he normally ignores but it is so fun to see the fluffed up tail and the wild look in his eyes. He doesn't normally attack us but he does love to walk underneath us at inopportune moments.

Yeah. Damn pets indeed. But I would miss him dreadfully if he wasn't around.

I love how cute they both are. And that innocent look they're both flashing you.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that cat. She is TOO CUTE.

1:28 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Cats and dogs. Love at first bite. My mom's younger cat likes to fight with the younger dog and usually ends up with his head inside the dog's mouth. Then the most girly whine ever comes out of this little killing machine. Pets are joys.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Very familiar with the kitty ambush.

The other day, Rusty decided it was play time just as I was about to head out the door to a client meeting after carefully defurring my outfit with the Helmac roller. He got himself into a corner where I couldn't leave him, so I had to go after him before I could leave. Not wanting to ruin my careful Helmacking, I picked him up and held him at arm's length. He was not happy. As soon as I put him down and turned my back, he launched himself at my calf and sunk in his teeth. Yowch! I should have known that was coming.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn pets indeed, but they're so much fun and so much love....That dog does the best "I'm guilty please don't beat me" face I have ever seen.... Best friends, evil enemies....could you imagine life without 'em?

10:22 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Cagey- She did grow. Guess that's what happens when you feed them.

Dana- I love the Freaky Kitty Mode. I don't love the walking under our feet in inopportune moments, though.

Ariella- And Mad-Kitty clearly loves you.

Beth- They are like siblings in more ways than one. I'm glad they have each other. Saves a bit on us.

Rozanne- You have me laughing and laughing. What a vengeful kitty Rusty is! OUCH!

Christie- That dog is the biggest fraud on the planet. She's trying not to crack a smile, which would spoil the guilt-and-shame facade. At least the cat's expressions are honest. Evil but honest.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

You nailed it in calling them siblings. Absolutely.

The cat's evil, focused look lets me know he's a scamp through-and-through.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I never knew cats and dogs could be such buddies until we had a houseful of both. Yours are adorable.
V.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Your black kitty is a doll and so small! Our cats are at least 11 lb. I miss our black kitties.

One used to spring out and attack my husband's secretary when she entered the laundry with a basket full of laundry. She was afraid of cats and this time it had left her bleeding with long runs in both her stockings! For Christmas, we wrapped up a new pair of pantyhose and signed the card, "From your favourite feline friend!"

10:29 AM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I know some cats that need Mad-kitty to teach them a lesson in how to behave around dogs... silly, scared kitties (no, I haven't gotten cats to torture C. - they belong to a friend.)

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, it looks like a scene from our house. Just add eight more cats.

I loved these pics -- thank you :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Jocelyn- They were basically born together. The cat preferred the company of 12 large, ungainly puppies to the life of the other cats on the porch. We had to have her.

Voyager- You speak true.

Ruth- She really is a lovely cat. Something about little black cats. The one you had sounds part demon. They can tell who doesn't like them and enjoy tormenting them.

Teri- Poor, wussy kitties! They just need some balls. A tough cat will always thump dogs in line.

Leigh-Ann- I bet! As the pictures on your blog show from time to time. (My pleasure, I assure you.)

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leigh-Ann sent me the link (we have almost completely separate blog friends, and have both run out of time to add more of the other's friends, so we give each other updates, usually by calling everyone by either the names of their blogs...or, um, nicknames we've given to the bloggers to facilitate talking about them) to this entry of yours because words just wouldn't suffice. It's amazing how much it's like our house (minus the dirt & hair), right down to exact colors/species. Plus, I could imagine EXACTLY how Mad-Kitty launches herself at you. Too funny. I love the pictures of the wrestling. Right now (the playdates go in cycles), the big playful pair is Cricket (the terrier mix) and TJ (the semi-kitten). They wrestle and run after each other and TJ launches himself onto Cricket's head or back...and Cricket tickles TJ's tummy with her nose. I can even picture the cartoon bubble over her head going, "tickletickletickle", rest, and repeat. However, TJ's big dream seems to be to play with the big dogs. He trains them every single day, getting them closer and closer to letting him hang out with them. Right now, he tentatively sniffs and touches their toes. It's taken him months to get the GSD to not go nuts (in an annoying excited way) when she gets a glimpse of him. But, he carefully, each day, gets closer and closer to her. He's such a smart smart little guy. Damn, I've blathered so much here that I should've just made it my own blog entry. Oops, sorry. :) Anyway, thanks for the pictures, they were great!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Flippy- I so hear you! Had I more time, I'd add more blogs but I've sadly reached my limit. My husband, Charles, and I chat about my blog friends as though they live up the street. It's good. (I keep the pic that Leigh-Ann emailed of the Piffle license plate as a favorite.)

I'm in love with TJ. Leigh-Ann knows that if we lived closer I'd have made off with him months ago. (Although If we had both TJ and Mad in the house, I don't know how I'd survive. They'd certainly give the dog a run for her money. She'd be hard pressed to put both their heads in her mouth.) If only I could get a video of Mad-Kitty doing her ambush, but I guess that's the point of an ambush.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home