Friday, January 06, 2006

Resolution #18


Pictures for you, originally uploaded by DianaP.

While outside yesterday, Sara, Molly and I came across what looks like a prison break. At first glance, it seems that the strawberries are attempting to topple the stone wall of the raised vegetable bed, but if you look closely, you will see the large patch of green right next to the fallen wall, encompassing the left half of the scene. Here we have, I believe, the instigator of the mischief, a large thistle. My only question is: does the thistle want to get into the horse-shit enriched enclave or is it helping someone else escape the bonds of pampering and sloth to glorious freedom? Either way, the strawberries are not completely blameless, as they are also to be found creeping over the fallen rubble.

I was under the impression that gardens were supposed to sleep in winter. Maybe it is the bizarre week and a half of above freezing temperatures, rain, and total snow melt that has given them the energy to fell stone.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger listie said...

Thistles are total instigators and not to be trusted. I'm sure they broke down the wall and told the strawberries, "Come on boys, follow me! She'll never notice you're gone until spring!" Foiled again by the January thaw.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Renegade strawberries?? Oh my.

Keep us posted and lock your doors!

11:21 AM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I am thinking listmaker is right. I am sure the thistle is a bad influence on the strawberries. Strawberries have always struck me as being the sweet and innocent one of the fruit family. Now tomatoes, on the other hand, are completely evil and must be destroyed. Be warned.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Thistles are much-maligned. I think your strawberries are type-A personalities, thrill seekers, and they are off to seek adventure and fame. The thistle is just attempted to land in the gravy while it can - he's an opportunist.

1:57 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

I just enjoy how much everyone is talking about the strawberries and thistle. Funny! It has been an unusually warm winter and maybe they're all thinking it is time to make a move.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

List- I agree, based on this past year's war in my yard.

Cagey- You know, I am a bit nervous, what if they decide to turn around and knock over the house?

Dana- I am not so sure about the strawberries. I have had to knock several of them out as they pushed between the stones and planted their little selves in among the much misunderstood and maligned tomatoes.

Teri- Gasp! The thistles have gotten to you! You are right, though, the strawberries I think are far from innocent bystanders.

Beth- Not much else to talk about. Has been nice taking the pup and girl out in the yard and only putting on coats and boots the past week. Plus they both get really, really tired and take long naps afterward. Heh. Heh. Who's devious, now?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Babs said...

You know, here on the island there's a church that holds a Thistle Fair' and makes much merriment.

Perhaps it's a front for eventual Thistle-esque World Domination??

They did try to make me eat haggus, you know.

gets out Sherlock Holmes hat*

9:19 AM  
Blogger moegirl said...

Hmmm...be on your guard with the ringleaders of the garden break out be they strawberries or thistles.

For some reason this reminds me of my all time favorite "Powerpuff Girls" episodes- "Attack of the Broccoloids" Where evil space alien broccoli take over the gardens and threaten the residents of Townsville. The episode was also made into a book, which was one of Allie's faves. I bet Sara would love it.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home