Friday, January 12, 2007

S.O.S.

From time to time, most of us have come to a crossroads of sorts. It's times like these that we are oh-so-glad we started this exhibitionistic pursuit that is blogging. The input of our peers is a helpful thing in outlining the pros and cons of what is at stake. (Yes, shoe-a-holic57, the Jimmy Choos are adorable, but when hiking in the Himalayas, I'm concerned that your ankles will require a bit more support and just think of what the snow will do to the leather...)

Our Ariella is at such a crossroads.

Let me sum up: She's an attorney. Not too long out of law school. A very reputable school on the east coast and she did well in her classes. She had no problem landing a job after she finished, but left it as the commute from Madison, WI is just a bit too far to Jersey. What's in Madison (well, beside moi as a neighbor)? Only the love of her life.

So, last June, she packed up and moved, and started that process that I hate more than anything, job hunting.

Pickings are slim, here. Sadly, Wisconsin has its own top notch law school and has the habit of not looking closely at those who do not graduate from it. (The same is also true at the education level, which will be a bonus for Charles when he finishes his trek in his own personal PhD Himalayas.) This is all very discouraging and has led to deep examining of her life and its course.

See, she's always felt a strong pull toward health care. Her dad's a vet. Sooooooo, med/vet school is starting to call quite loudly. And Madison has excellent programs in both.

But, that would mean leaving the law, which is hard to do, having invested all that time and tuition.

So. Pleasepleaseplease. Pop over and visit her,read what she's posted about it, and give her your thoughts. She's a lovely, funny person. Anyone else been in such a situation? What did you do? Were you happy? What else should she think of ?

You're the best!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Diana. I owe you dinner at my house. :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Ariella- Name the time and place and I'll show up with beers and bells on!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, how about next Friday/Saturday night? Either that, or the week after -- but be forewarned that if you come the week after, our friends from NJ and the UK will be visiting us. I think you'd all get along quite well, and they are very good friends of ours (just got engaged). Let me know what you're thinking.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, God. That sucks. I'll have to pop over and see her. Been meaning to anyway.

I've never had to make a decision like this. Well, there was the decision not to teach Elementary Education but fortunately discovered I'm not fond of small children before I went to college.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to stop by and visit tonight. What a hard decision.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Whew. what a place to been. I've been, but managed to leave my comment on the wrong post. I suspect she'll get it anyway. :)

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man! Did she pass the bar? I will say follow your heart, you spend a big part of life at work. So it should be fun.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Apply to med and/or vet school and let it happen from there or combine the 2..investigate specializing in Law as it applies to Medical or Vet fields?

11:43 AM  
Blogger Babs said...

Oh dear. I can't even get myself off this island, so I don't think I'd be ANY bloody help. I can try, mind.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transition is not easy. Been there done that. Will leave a comment at her place.
And you Diana must make a fine fine friend I am sure. :)

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ariella,
I tried to comment on your blog but was having problems.

I think you should take the nanny job and go back to school. It seems that at this point you have nothing to lose with the law.

Someday you may be able to still use that degree but in the mean time go for what your heart is telling you.

Good Luck!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about animal rights law? It's something I've considered, but I just hate the idea of law school.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home