Monday, January 24, 2005

Conversations with Sara

Sometime between the hours of 03:30 and 05:30 in my bed a few hours ago (Charles and dog having fled to the couch):

S: "HI MOMMY! HI MOMMY! HI MOMMY!"
D: "mmmmm hi sara mmmmm"
S: "HI MOMMY!"
D: "sssshhhhh. mommy sleeping"
S: (completely failing to get the hint) "HI MOMMY!"
D: mmmmmmmm

S: "I CAN'T DOOOOO IT!"
D: "mmmmmm what's that?"
S: "I CAN'T DO IT! I-can't-get-down-the-bed-I-can't-do-it-ANY-MORE!!!"
D: "No. There is a reason for that. You need to stay on the bed and go to sleep."
S: "I CAN'T DO IT ANY MORE!!!!"
D: "mmmmmmm...."

D: "OW! (sadly, suddenly fully awake) No pulling my hair!"

(Lapse to the time for the alarm to go off, above conversation having continued on Sara's behalf throughout)

S: "4! 3! 2! ONE!!!!!!"
S: "4! 3! 2! ONE!!!!!!"
Charles (having come back in the bedroom as it is now time to get up) "Did you get any sleep?"
D: "What do YOU think?"
C: "Guess not. Latte?"

Gotta admit, though, pretty good with the counting backward thing.

I am getting this down so when I refuse to let her do something for no apparent reason that she greatly desires at the age of 16, I can refer her to this and tell her it is payback. "Had you gone back to sleep that night, I would have bought you a pony. Since you didn't, you can only drive the car on Feb 29th. You have no one to blame but yourself." Luckily for Colin, I was not blogging through his early childhood and such episodes are all forgotten in that fuzzy glow of parental memory. He may get to use the car on the 31st of each month.


The snows hit us a couple of days ago, landing a foot in our yard and driveway. We valiantly stuffed the kids and ourselves in snow gear, intending to have a grand old time with sleds down the slope of the side pasture but the 40 mph wind worked against us. Charles tried his level best but even he had to give up as the winds damn near blew him up the hill. So we shoveled the walk, Sara floundered and ate snow, and Colin climbed the 4 foot piles made by wonderful neighbor, Steve, who again plowed our drive. Emma gleefully realized her inner wolf.

And so it is Monday, again. Ah, caffeine, sweet nectar of life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home