Friday, January 13, 2006

End Of Days 2

I know, I know. It's getting warmer. Global warming. Lalala. El Nino. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

I listen. I care. I do my best to leave a light footprint and all that. It's in my nature, having been raised in the Jimmy Carter era.

They say that it only becomes real when it hits home, when it affects YOU.

For the last 3 weeks or so, it has been above freezing, here in the once-frozen tundra. I wear mud boots rather than snow boots when we go for our daily tromps. The snow is long gone. There is warmth to the sun when it shines. It has rained AT NIGHT.

Dreading the worst and knowing that, despite the weather, we are in January, not late March, and therefore should expect a few more months of hard, cold weather, I got down and looked at the plants in the garden. Yup. The shrubs, like the above viburnum, have ruddy, swellings of new leaves. Here, we have the base of a columbine with not just green hints, but an actual leaf. Finally, here, we have bulbs coming up. Under the lilacs, which are budding, too. Can't blame them. It was in the 50s and sunny, yesterday. I was out in a T-shirt.

Supposed to be in the mid-upper 30s for the next week, at least.

This is not what has me getting my affairs in order, though. Nope. This is just some sort of climate swing, whether it is due to the misdeeds of man or just Ma Nature having a good laugh at us, I couldn't say for sure. One year, or one decade, in the grand scheme of things is too short a time in the whole cosmic scheme to tell.


{Break to sing Monty Python's "The Galaxy Song"}


Nope. What really has me getting my affairs in order and tossing a loaf of bread to a leper is what happened yesterday.

Colin came home from school and, after finishing his homework, asked if he could play on the computer a bit.

"Sure", I said. Why not. There's about an hour before dinner. He's done great. He then goes to his room to get something and comes back and says, "Mom. My room's a mess. I should clean it up before I play." And he proceeded to do so.

I fainted dead away.

The world is coming to an end. Consider yourselves warned.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger moegirl said...

Clearly a sign of the apocolypse or Colin has become a "pod person" a la "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - I don't think Allie has ever volunteered to clean her room- if she did I would be similarily alarmed.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

uhhhh, I see what you mean about our posts segueing into each other.

It is the end times.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

You must feel like you're back in Portland.

FYI: It's rained everyday for the last 30 days (or something like that) and we're already well beyond the average monthly rainfall for January.

B has not volunteered to clean the house, though, so, take heart, the world may not be coming to an end.

7:02 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Oh, wow. And I thought it was nice here because it's been around 30 or so. I can't believe you have actual sprouting green things.

And the fact that Colin wants to clean his room less than a week from me cleaning mine? It truly is the end times.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell must be freezing over. I have just organized and cleaned our upstairs bathroom AND linen closet! TWO garbage bags of unwanted colognes, hair products and other scary things. Take shelter immediately!!

Hey~ what does the whole word verification thing at the bottom of the comments mean? What if I am a rebel and don't do it? Will I be grounded? Sent to my room? Worse?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Babs said...

Trust the world to end NOW.

Sheesh.

I don't have ONE decent outfit for the grand event.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Stacy- I know, I know! I mean, what the hell is wrong? He's certainly no neat freak, my son.

Teri- Like minds, baby.

Rozanne- I do feel like I'm back there, and you know what I mean, having come from here-ish. Felt like it used to rain from November through early July.

Dana- Freaky, freaky. I see the makings of a very stunted spring. You, Colin, who next? Sort of like the lemmings all heading to the cliff, not that you are anything like a lemming. Much more erudite and witty. And funner.

Kate- Oh, no! Et tu? Actually, I'm fond of such divesting, to my family's horror.

Babs- Oh dear, neither do I. Do you think I could just don jeans and a t-shirt and stand in the back? I'd comb my hair...

6:02 PM  
Blogger Babs said...

Well, as long as it's one of those tuexedo t-shirts.

Thems real classy, after all.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Babs- Tuxedo t-shirt with sequins, natch!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Scanning the sky for pigs......

So, what was your secret to raising the Boy Wonder? Pray, do tell!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Cagey- I haven't the slightest idea. I'd love to take credit but this is not his usual pattern of behavior, I assure you.

9:02 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

That is too cute that Colin wanted to clean his room.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Global Warming!!!??? What kind of conspiracy theorist ARE YOU?

Your phones might be tapped now, you trrrrist.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sign has come from above today(here in Michigan, anyway) that maybe it's not the end of the world nor global warming....SNOW, glorious SNOW! We needed some (My daughter received a sled for Christmas and it hasn't seen snow yet!). I actually missed the white stuff. Oh no, I'm becoming a (GULP) Michigander. Next thing you know I'll be giving people directions using the back of my hand! As for Colin's cleaning urge....maybe it was the warmer weather, melting some of his brain and giving him temporary insanity. Let's hope it got cold today in WI, so all is back to mormal! And as for Kate's cleaning urge...maybe she's preggo and already starting to nest! She'll say I'm jinxing her, but I know it will happen soon.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TYPO ALERT: how about NORMAL not beginning with an M?? Sorry, I had to correct my mistake!

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home